Import status failure - how to know why ? RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

I have a custom interface which uses internal CRM import functionality to import excel files into the application itself.

Most of the times it works perfectly, however from time to time  status shows status failure eventhough all the records were succesfully imported (verify and indicated by column successes), checking data base, I see that ImportLog exists with an error code but not error description.

Any clue how to monitore it, or how status is set ?

Thanks in advance

Yojan
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:31 PM

Answers

• Any hits on the error code itself?

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps the error is "timeout" related.  If the import is sufficiently large, or the data causes a great deal of additional operations (say with cascading operations), the base record may reflect the appropriate data, but the additional operations may have failed.  Your trace file, as Mahender Pal has suggested, should contain the best information on this.  However, if you have previously adjusted the timeouts to a considerable length, you may not see any entries in the trace-log until those timeouts have been met.

Dave Berry
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:54 PM

All replies

• Did you try to enable trace and check if there is something useful

refer below link to enable trace

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907490

Also have you installed latest rollup in your server

Mahain
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:17 AM
  • Thanks for the answer, yes roll up 9 has been installed.

about trace,  I a using CRM 4.0, not sure how it can help since tables created are self explanatory .. however do not know why it fails from time to time, has anyone experienced it ?

Yojan
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Does the file perhaps contain an empty row at the end?  CRM wouldn't be able to import it, and may throw such an error, while leaving all previous rows properly imported.  This is, however, pure speculation on my part.
    Dave Berry
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:14 PM
  • No, cause after that failed message eventhough all reacords were imported, same file is imported without any trouble.

Yojan
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Any hits on the error code itself?

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps the error is "timeout" related.  If the import is sufficiently large, or the data causes a great deal of additional operations (say with cascading operations), the base record may reflect the appropriate data, but the additional operations may have failed.  Your trace file, as Mahender Pal has suggested, should contain the best information on this.  However, if you have previously adjusted the timeouts to a considerable length, you may not see any entries in the trace-log until those timeouts have been met.

Dave Berry
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:54 PM