Another crawling/indexing issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

My site (insurancenewsandviews.blogspot.com) has 17 pages indexed by Google (and a few relatively high rankings).  It is a weblog with completely original content updated several times per week.

I submitted my website and my feed (in lieu of a sitemap) to Live.com, and I don't see any "crawl issues" on the dashboard.

I was wondering why my site hasn't been crawled, much less indexed.

I see some potential negatives, which I will attempt to address.

1.  Its a new weblog (on blogspot, no less) - I update my site regularly, and don't scrape any content (not even a Google news widget!)

2.  Lots of forum backlinks - I am a longstanding member of two forums (with a lot of posts) that predates my blog.  When I added the address to my signature, it updated most of my (many) previous posts, leading to a flood of backlinks.  I modified my signature to get traffic, not backlinks, as I learned that forums have been discredited as a way to get "juice."

3. No sitemap (?) - Is submitting a blogspot-formatted feed the wrong way to go?

I understand that a blogspot blog is pretty low on your totem pole, but I think that the content is original and valuable (and I have 100 visitors in two weeks already).

Thanks for your consideration.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

How old is your site? As you said, forums backlinks are not that great-- they won't really help you in the long run, but if your site is new, a couple won't hurt. I suggest reading our FAQs listed a the top of this forum as well as at the top of the Ranking forum. I also suggest reading Jeremiah's blog post http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/12/04/getting-the-right-kind-of-links.aspx which might give you ideas how to grow good backlinks. I strongly suggest submitting a sitemap and not a feed. If you don't show up in a couple of weeks, let me know.

Cheers!

Brett

Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:51 PM

All replies

• Your site (insurancenewsandviews.blogspot.com) has page rank 0 according to a few PR checkers

Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Hi Robert,

How old is your site? As you said, forums backlinks are not that great-- they won't really help you in the long run, but if your site is new, a couple won't hurt. I suggest reading our FAQs listed a the top of this forum as well as at the top of the Ranking forum. I also suggest reading Jeremiah's blog post http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/12/04/getting-the-right-kind-of-links.aspx which might give you ideas how to grow good backlinks. I strongly suggest submitting a sitemap and not a feed. If you don't show up in a couple of weeks, let me know.

Cheers!

Brett

Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:51 PM