My Copy of Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/SP 3 RRS feed

• Question

• What happens when after looking at a request from Microsoft to validate my XP Professional w/SP3 software, and finding subsequent to my allowing several persons the use of my computers, that my product registration key that,s inside the computers don,t match the product key that,s on my Proof of License Certificate of Authenticity.  I own both a Dell Optiplex GX520, and a Dell Optiplex GX430 (coupled through a home office network) which came with the software already installed when I purchased them.  After my initial installations I never checked up on anything outside of the routinely scanning for new virus/worm threats, until Microsoft ask me to use the Genuine Advantage services.  I,ve always believed that everything was OK because I allowed only "Microsoft Corporation" to update or change whatever files that ever got changed or updated through their "Automatic Update" system which I,ve always trusted.  I don,t know if their is at this point anything seriously wrong, and the newly noted "key" issue have not cause me any operational or program-related problems, but I would truly like to know how to get my product key reflected on the label attached to my computers to get back matching the registration key "that,s in" my computers without the loss of my files or programs, or suffering a great deal of added cost in this economically stressed time?  Please help!!! if at all possible.  My email address is:  maphyllis55@aol.com 
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:33 AM

Answers

• Hello maphyllis55,

The standard Dell XP Pro deployment product key reports in the mgadiag utility as this:
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT

If this is what the report is showing, then your Dell XP Pro installations on your two OptiPlex computers are perfectly fine and there is nothing to worry about, and there is no need whatsoever for you to change the product key to the one on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker.  ALL Dell computers shipped from Dell with XP Pro will have that product key.  It's the one they use at the Dell factory to preinstall XP Pro on all their computers.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:12 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:48 PM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:36 AM
  • I could not get it to copy but it did say that the software was genuine
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:01 AM
  • Hello maphyllis55,

The standard Dell XP Pro deployment product key reports in the mgadiag utility as this:
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT

If this is what the report is showing, then your Dell XP Pro installations on your two OptiPlex computers are perfectly fine and there is nothing to worry about, and there is no need whatsoever for you to change the product key to the one on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker.  ALL Dell computers shipped from Dell with XP Pro will have that product key.  It's the one they use at the Dell factory to preinstall XP Pro on all their computers.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:12 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:48 PM