Need stronger options for the mesh install RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would love to be able to install live mesh on my work computer but not have my folders be accessed incase someone gets into it somehow.
    So an option to not use the folder sharing part of it would be great.
    I also would like the option to not show my other computers to that computer so they don't appear on that list of registered computers when viewed from that computer.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 12:09 AM

All replies

• Trolane said:

I would love to be able to install live mesh on my work computer but not have my folders be accessed incase someone gets into it somehow.
    So an option to not use the folder sharing part of it would be great.
    I also would like the option to not show my other computers to that computer so they don't appear on that list of registered computers when viewed from that computer.

I'm assuming that the only reason you want Live Mesh is for the remote desktop (if you don't want the folder sync) - I would investigate setting up normal remote desktop instead of running live mesh solely for that.

Although not a complete solution but possibly something for now, you could have Mesh set up at work to not sync with any folders + not remember your password. I'm assuming that anyone getting access to the machine would have to log you out and then login (say as an admin), which would show them that Mesh was installed but not have access to any of your files.

If you leave your machine unlocked with Mesh running, then you're right - they will be able to request sync on all folders.

Friday, November 14, 2008 12:17 AM
  • if you could share devices across accounts then i would make a new mesh account just for this computer and let my real account have control over it, but you can't. I use mesh for the syncing on my home, wm device, and laptop so getting rid fo sync and all that is not an  option.
    I like the remote desktop in mesh for the convenience of not needing to VPN or mess with firewalls.
    This would also make it a good solution for letting me install mesh on my girl friends computer but not giving her access to my syncs or my computers so i could get rid of gotomypc.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 12:29 AM