none
FileSyncProvider with multiple targets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to Microsoft Sync Framework and I wanted to use it to sync multiple (~100) targets from a single server source. (Preferably without agents on the target servers)

My question is, if I have some hundred target servers how should I syncronise them?
    Starting multiple threads from the source server with SyncDirectionOrder.Upload without DetectChanges() and for every target an own MetadataDirectoryPath(File) ?

Or is there a better way?
    Are there already best practices for this scenario I missed during my research? 
    Maybe a code sample?

Thanks in advance,
    Best Regards,
    Jan

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Jan,

The optimal way to go will depend on a few constraints.  For instance, are you looking for the fastest way to get up and running or the solution that will give you the optimal performance in the end.  We have a number of samples that can show you how to sync files with our built in FileSyncProvider.  That is definitely the path that will get you up and running most quickly.  Depending on how many files you have, the performance difference between just sticking with that solution vs designing something might make it not worth the effort.

I would suggest that you start by getting a solution up and running with the built in File Sync Provider and then see if that meets your performance requirements.  If it does then great.  If you need to tweak things further then you might want to consider writing the provider for the server to take advantage of your specific target scenario, for example sharing change detection between multiple clients.

Regards,

Mike Clark

Microsoft Sync Framework

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:27 PM