WHS console shows last update as xx/xx/xx... and won't update... RRS feed

• Question

• I've had a HP MediaSmart Home Server for about 8 months. For as long as I can remember, I've never had an HP update applied and the Last Update date shows XX/XX/XX. When clicking the Install or Check for Updates, nothing would be reported. There were no real bad errors... only what appears to be a script error dialog when I opened up the console on a member machine.

So then PP1 comes out (not the beta) which I download from MSFT and install. I hoped that had fixed some stuff, but no luck. The wierd thing is all my clients reported they needed the updated WHS client and my x64 Vista clients are updating just fine.

Under the Hardware Status, my HP Media Smart server shows v1.1.1.14470 and the BIOS is R02, 7/13/2007. All the versions listed on the Resources tab show 6.0.1800.0.

I know these aren't the right versions... how can I "reset" my WHS to make it update?

Sunday, August 3, 2008 11:53 AM

All replies

• I'm afraid it sounds as though you have a operating system problem.  Installing PP1 won't fix any underlying errors in the system but would require your Clients to also be updated. So although the 6.0.1800.0 is correct for WHS with PP1 installed, that doesn't indicate that everything is OK. The last update of an HP box here, shows 8/2/2008.

If your server doesn't show any correct date for the update, only XX's then it sounds as though you really need to do a system restore. This is explained in the HP documentation.

Colin

Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:09 PM
  • The versions from Resources are correct for Power Pack 1 RTM. The versions from Hardware Status don't include the latest HP software for the server. You can click on the MediaSmart Server tab, then on 'Check for updates' to get current updates. You can also change the HP Software Updates settings in the Settings tab to install updates automatically, or to download them automatically but prompt for installation.
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:13 PM
  • ColinWH-

That just restores the OS correct? I won't lose any data correct?

Ken-

That doesn't help... none of the updating methods work for me.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Had the same issue over here on the HPEX470

PP1 installed smoothly, but the HP update that is suposed to be available, was not. From reading some of the HP forum threads it appeared that I was not the only one having this problem (don't know if HP has published any solution yet).

Manually downloaded and installed the update (see HP forum link). The HP console tab now shows "latest update 29-07-3-2008 00:24:25". Also clicking the "Check for Updates" now seems to work again.

It now shows software version 1.3.6.21622.

Updating manually probably is not supported, but as the HP is my test-server I have no problems with this.

Theo.

Monday, August 4, 2008 9:27 PM