Options for Using WHS 2011 on an EX495 RRS feed

• General discussion

• After trying to do a 4.6TB client backup to a 650GB drive (Failed after it ran out of space) I have come to the following conclusions on using WHS 2011 on my EX495 which of course cannot do raid. 

Option 1. 

I would have to move most of the data items off of every PC I own and place those items on shared folders on the WHS PC.  Doing that would make the disk backup requirements on these PC's very light which means they should all fit on the 2TB client backup share.  All of the other data would of course have to be broken up onto 2TB shares for backup purposes.  It really really sucks but it is workable. 

Option 2. 

Per the reviews on http://homeservershow.com I can purchase a Drobo and move the Client Computer Backups folder there.  This means I would not have to backup the Client Computer Backups folder at all and simply use the WHS 2011 backups to handle items that are less than 2TB in size.

So really it boils down to living within the current crazy 2TB limitation, adding raid (which I cannot do) or adding a 3rd party NAS to WHS 2011.  I will post on the homeservershow and ask if he can test the Drobo on 2011.

Other than not upgrading does anyone see any other options for my EX495

P.S.  The RC STILL does not have the ESata driver necessary for the EX495 I had to pull it from the web of course.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 2:33 AM

All replies

• Can you use Disk Manager to create a Dynamic Disk RAID5 volume?

Monday, February 7, 2011 12:59 AM
  • I do not see this option in Disk Manager.  But not sure what it would really buy me.
    Monday, February 7, 2011 4:57 AM