none
System.AccessViolationException RRS feed

• Question

• I received the following errors in the Application log.  This happened under load of about 48 outbound calls. 

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Office Communications Server 2007 Speech Server
    Event Category: Speech Engine Services
    Event ID: 25944
    Date:  7/9/2007
    Time:  9:13:28 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: *****
    Description:
    Service was unable to process the text-to-speech request for the following reason: 'Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. (System.AccessViolationException)'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Category: Speech Service
    Event ID: 26161
    Date:  7/9/2007
    Time:  9:13:28 PM
    Computer: *****
    Description:
    A SES worker process (PID 3432) has encountered a problem and will be recycled. The problem reported was: The SES worker process has encountered an irrecoverable exception and cannot continue: System.AccessViolationException

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Monday, July 9, 2007 9:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This message indicates that a serious problem has occurred in the server- it's detected an error while performing text-to-speech operations, and automatically restarted the worker process to prevent further issues. Unfortunately we'll need a bit more information to be able to diagnose it exactly.

Could you let us know:

1) Do you have .ETL diagnostic logs for the time when this problem occurred? Please mail the file to mssbeta@microsoft.com

2) If you log on to the server as an administrator, you may be prompted to upload the error report to Microsoft. If you could do so, that could be very helpful.

3) Which voice you are using, and roughly what the application is doing - especially knowing what text you are trying to say at the point of error would be very useful.

Regards,

--

Edwin Young

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This message indicates that a serious problem has occurred in the server- it's detected an error while performing text-to-speech operations, and automatically restarted the worker process to prevent further issues. Unfortunately we'll need a bit more information to be able to diagnose it exactly.

Could you let us know:

1) Do you have .ETL diagnostic logs for the time when this problem occurred? Please mail the file to mssbeta@microsoft.com

2) If you log on to the server as an administrator, you may be prompted to upload the error report to Microsoft. If you could do so, that could be very helpful.

3) Which voice you are using, and roughly what the application is doing - especially knowing what text you are trying to say at the point of error would be very useful.

Regards,

--

Edwin Young

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:34 PM
  • This *could* also indicate that you have bad RAM in your box and that bad bits are only being used when your server is under load.

Have you tested the RAM and verified it's good?

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:09 PM
  • I have sent an email to mssbeta@microsoft.com answering these questions.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:25 PM
  • I have not yet tested the RAM, but I will now.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:28 PM
  • Sorry, it doesn't appear to have gotten through to me - I'm not sure quite where things went astray.

Could you resend the file to edwin dot young at microsoft dot com ?

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 4:53 PM
  • Hi Sectrean,

Can you update this thread? Have you implemented the RTM version and confirmed this is still an issue.?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:43 PM
  • I'm having this same issue. Anyone have some ideas?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:51 PM
  • We still have an open Support case with Microsoft on this, though we haven't heard anything in a long time.

In the meantime, we have debugdiag running and monitoring the SESWorkerProcess for AccessViolationExceptions.  This keeps it from crashing and we don't have any problems as long as it's running.

Though it's not ideal to have this running in a production environment, it's the only way we can make calls without getting this exception all the time and dropping calls.  And it actually doesn't noticably slow anything down.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Ouch, that does not sound promising.

Given that everything in our system must run as a service this doesn't seem like a practical solution. Our application deploys as a rack mounted appliance.  We cannot require that someone login and start a debugging session on an interactive desktop.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Actually, DebugDiag runs as a service.  Once it's set up no one has to be logged on for it to run.

But yes, it's not ideal. 

The last time we spoke with Microsoft about this issue, they acknowledged that it was a major issue, but they were having trouble reproducing it.  Since you're having this same problem, maybe we can finally give them a way to reproduce this.  I'll try to get in touch with our contact again.

Email me at john [at] loopfx . com .

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:38 PM
  • I've never used DebugDiag before. Very nice utility.

Could you post the rule you're using? I'm monitoring SESWorker and I'm still getting the errors. It get a stream of them starting with:

Event Type: Error
    Event Category: Speech Application
    Event ID: 29025
    Date:  6/11/2008
    Time:  9:03:06 PM
    Computer: MSSTST
    Description:
    Application Error 50000: An exception occurred in the Speech workflow with Id 1196572d-494b-4c13-95dd-fe36f7971714. The exception was: Speech resources could not be allocated for the call.

I get a number of these for different calls and then I get:

Event Category: Speech Engine Services
    Event ID: 25944
    Date:  6/11/2008
    Time:  9:03:28 PM
    Computer: MSSTST
    Description:
    Service was unable to process the text-to-speech request for the following reason: 'Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. (System.AccessViolationException)'.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Hi,

I am having the same issue. anyone found the solution for this?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:52 AM
  • I've replied to your duplicate question on gotspeech.  Lets keep the discussion in 1 place.  http://gotspeech.net/forums/thread/8838.aspx
    These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:07 AM