10 seconds to scan each file RRS feed

• Question

• After leaving my laptop AV scanning for an entire day it still hasn't gotten past 0%, it takes on average 10-15 seconds to scan each file and gets stuck for ages (typically a minute or so) on pid:[number], this happens during both tuneup and just a AV scan

I have tried uninstalling and running the cleanup tool and then reinstalling only to find no change

It's harddrive is only 40gb (20gb of which is used), 512mb RAM and 1.5ghz CPU. It's windows XP

Why is it taking so long, and what can I do to fix it - the status remains yellow because I can't complete a tuneup

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Mat91, I'm not sure why a One Care scan won't complete successfully. I suggest contacting support - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-US

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:03 PM
  • I've just found, entirely by accident, that ending a 'svchost.exe' process in task manager has made the scan go at a similar speed to my other two computers. Could this process be a virus??

The process was using about 40% CPU before I ended it, and as soon as I did the scan went alot faster. It's been going for about 5 minutes and is on 7% already.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Mat, open a command window and enter "Tasklist /SVC" without the quotes. This will display all active processes and the services running under each process. You can then do a web search for any processes running under svchost that you can't identify or that look suspicious.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:02 PM
  • The process has the PID 2684 and contains the services p2pimsvc and PNRPSvc

It's using about 50% CPU all the time... how do I disable them??
    Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:06 PM
  • Thanks for your help - problem solved

No idea why that was enabled (not my laptop)

Sunday, October 14, 2007 6:36 PM