none
Unable to Re-Install Microsoft Money RRS feed

• Question

• Help!

I inadvertently deleted Microsoft Money 2005. I have the CD and have tried to reinstall it which seems to work initially. However,  the default file name is C:\User\My name\Documents\ My Money.mny

When I then open Money I get the following error message:

The file name cannot contain any of the following characters: /  \ : ? * 

My head hurts! Any help would be appreciated.

Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:15 PM

All replies

• Make and save copies of your mny file and relevant backups.

How are you opening Money?  If you are using a shortcut, make sure there are quotes around the target file name.

Rather than open Money manually, double click your mny file.  If it opens, that should now be your default file.  Correct the shortcut if necessary.
    Sunday, May 17, 2020 11:09 PM
  • Another consideration is that Money 2005 needed an update from a Microsoft server after the Money installation CDs were issued.  That server is no longer available.  To reinstall an updated version of Money 2005, see the second "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

and download and install the Money version for your location (US, UK, etc).  Post back is you need help with any of this.

Bill Becker

Monday, May 18, 2020 3:25 AM
  • Money 2005 needs an update that was long gone Microsoft Servers.  The solution is to download and install Money Sunset if you are in the US.    If your version of M2005 is not from the US, you need to install the updated version of M2005.  Both can be found in the second sticky on this web page.  Note: if you install Money Sunset, you should also do the fix described in the first sticky on this page.
    Monday, May 18, 2020 3:27 AM