none
Problem with MS Money 2005 on MacBook using Parallels RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been using MS Money 2005 on my MacBook with Parallels (on Windows 7) and it's been working perfectly.  The last time I accessed my file correctly was 1st November.  I went to access it again on 7th November and it gave me an error message:

"c:\program files\microsoft money 2005\my money' is corrupted or is not a Money data file.  Make sure you are opening a file with a MNY extension.  If you have chosen the correct file and it could not be accessed, you will need to open your most recent backup file to access your data."

I was trying to open the normal file, but tried reloading it from my backup anyway and got the following message:

"Please insert the next backup disk. (The disk containing file "".)"

After this, I tried to restore from a backup on my memory stick rather than on the computer and it gave me the following message:

"The file name is invalid.  Please use a valid file name."

I then browse the files and tell it to save with a new name, click on restore and it asks for my password.  After I put my password in and press enter, I think it's going to work but instead, the programme crashes.

I am at a loss.  I don't understand why it's suddenly stopped working and won't restore from any backup files.  The only thing that has recently changed has been that parallel tools installed.  I even did a system restore to go back to a point before the parallel tools installation, but no joy.

Can anyone shed any light on this and help me please?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:44 PM

All replies

• Copy all of your *.mny and *.mbf to other media-- just in case. Do not overwrite any of your backup files.

Copy Sample.mny from your Money installation folder, typically "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005", to your Documents folder. Try opening that file. If it does not work, there is a problem with your installation. In that case, reinstall Money 2005 UK - QFE2 . The fixed self-contained UK Money 2005 file can be downloaded from the link at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915

Let's hope it is a problem with your installation.

Friday, November 11, 2011 12:11 AM
  • The sample file opened fine so I guess the installation is ok.  I still have no joy with my normal money file or my backup file though.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:04 PM
  • I am sorry to hear that, yet opening Sample.mny may not be a complete test. I would install Money 2005 UK on a different computer and see if that installation can make sense or a copy of one of your files. This seems like a very worthwhile thing to do. I have hope for you.

Also try a level 2 repaired version of your *.mny file. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466 You can use either method, including the one for Money 2000... 2003. It appears that the repair process is not country-specific.

I guess your don't have backup files saved from a time or two before you had a problem. I fear that your file had a problem, and that Money then made a backup of the problem, overwriting a problem-free backup in the process.  Money 2006 has the ability to keep  multiple (default 4) timestamped versions of the backup files. Unfortunately the UK management decided to not go with versions after Money 2005. People running 2005 should take action to keep more than one vintage of backup file. A batch file can facilitate that.

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:22 PM
  • People running 2005 should take action to keep more than one vintage of backup file. A batch file can facilitate that.

Or even just add a version number to the backup filename when it prompts you.  Then CHANGE IT the next time you do a backup.

It absolutely amazes me the number of people who do not seem to understand that backups are utterly essential, not optional.  (Not picking on the OP here, and not just MSmoney either).

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Thanks, I will try it on a different computer just to see what happens.  I still have an old windows desktop PC in the house which doesn't get used very often as it takes about half an hour to warm up once it's switched on!

I did try to repair the file too but that gave me a different error message and also crashed the programme.

I have backup files saved from before the problem occurred but they don't work either, so it's not that I hadn't bothered backing up several different versions in different media - i.e. on the hard drive and separately onto my memory stick.

This evening I tried setting up a completely new file in Money and this appears to be working, so if there is no way around getting my old file back I'll have to live with the years of history having disappeared and just start again.  It will be interesting to see if I can go back into the new file tomorrow with no problems...

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:12 AM