Restoring Backup Without CD/DVD Rom Support?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Guys,

Maybe a stupid question but here goes......

I have been having problems recently with an old IBM T23 laptop on my network (my wifes) and want to restore from a WHS backup. I get the 'blue screen of death' reporting errors but can boot in safe mode btw..

Problem is the IBM's DVD drive no longer seems to work is there a way to restore the whole drive without one??

Thanks in advance.....

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:52 PM

Answers

• You have a couple of options. You can do as brubber suggests; I would try that first, because it certainly won't hurt. At worst, the PC won't boot afterward. You can also remove the drive from the laptop and restore it on another PC, then reinstall it. That will likely permit you to restore from the Restore CD. If your laptop can boot from a USB device, you can try using a bootable USB CD-ROM drive, or you can try to create a bootable USB flash drive.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:15 AM

All replies

• 1. Safe Mode with Networking

2. Run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

GOOD LUCK

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:37 PM
  • You have a couple of options. You can do as brubber suggests; I would try that first, because it certainly won't hurt. At worst, the PC won't boot afterward. You can also remove the drive from the laptop and restore it on another PC, then reinstall it. That will likely permit you to restore from the Restore CD. If your laptop can boot from a USB device, you can try using a bootable USB CD-ROM drive, or you can try to create a bootable USB flash drive.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:15 AM
  •  

Hi,

Got as far as 'choose volumes to restore' but under 'source volume (from backup)' none is displayed in the box and greyed out??

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Possibly your system / username is not recognised by WHS, or the user logged on in safe mode has NO Administrator rights. I tried this on one of my own systems and even in safe mode using this procedure I can choose both the system and the volume I want to restore. You might try Ken's suggestion of moving the disk to another system (use external optical drive), however I expect this will fail at the same point. If you get up to point where you can choose volumes to restore I guess your network connection is OK, however please check (Start, run, type cmd, Hit Enter, in command shell type IPconfig /all) if you have valid IP in the correct range for you homenetwork. If this is OK check if you can get to server in eplorer window (\\yourservername)

Have you tried opening the backup from another client, are there any valid backups for this system? (WHS console, Computers and Backup, Select Computer, Properties, Open Backup). If you can open a backup I would advise you to recover the essential files before doing anything else

Have you tried this procedure using the restore CD on another client? (Just to check if you get a list of volumes to restore)

Given the BSOD's you get on the system is there may also be some critical harware component that is failing. You could try restoring to a replacement hdd in another system and the put it back in the laptop

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:07 AM
  •  

Hi guys,

Many thanks for you help, I managed to borrow a mates DVD drive (IBM T23 Ultraport) and used the restore disc no problem all seems fine now

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:09 PM