Bad judgement on my part...now I need help please RRS feed

• Question

• Our laptop was on Home Vista. I backed up everything we needed to an external HD.

Vista was installed when we purchased the laptop brand new. It didn't come with installation disks.

I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate (It was a "copy" a co-worker gave me a while back.)

So now the watermark say "Windows 7 For testing purposes only. Build 7000 This copy of Windows is not genuine."

**I learned my lesson**

Question:

When I buy this for real at Best Buy or whatever, can I buy an upgrade version of Win7 or do I have to buy the complete installation of Win7?

Can I still buy the Win7 Home Edition even though I installed a jacked up copy of Win7 Ultimate?

Thank you!

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:57 AM

Answers

• "getwithit" wrote in message news:1c9e7b30-1825-4ff7-840a-961ce3d23091...

Correct, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate Beta version from a "copied" cd over Windows Vista Home Edition.

Can I purchase an Upgrade license for Windows 7 Home Premium ($119) or do I have to purchase the Full version ($199)?

Thanks,

If you purchase an Upgrade, you will have to reinstall from scratch, via Vista.
    If you purchase a Full Retail version you will still have to clean install, since the Beta cannot reliably be upgraded to a release version - but you can at least do the install direct.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, March 23, 2012 2:00 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you have an old beta version of Windows 7 installed.

To help us analyze and troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.
    Once you run the tool, click on the
    Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:20 AM
  • Correct, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate Beta version from a "copied" cd over Windows Vista Home Edition.

Can I purchase an Upgrade license for Windows 7 Home Premium ($119) or do I have to purchase the Full version ($199)?

Thanks,

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:47 PM
  • "getwithit" wrote in message news:1c9e7b30-1825-4ff7-840a-961ce3d23091...

Correct, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate Beta version from a "copied" cd over Windows Vista Home Edition.

Can I purchase an Upgrade license for Windows 7 Home Premium ($119) or do I have to purchase the Full version ($199)?

Thanks,

If you purchase an Upgrade, you will have to reinstall from scratch, via Vista.
    If you purchase a Full Retail version you will still have to clean install, since the Beta cannot reliably be upgraded to a release version - but you can at least do the install direct.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, March 23, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Since you do not have a Windows Vista installation disk, you'll need to purchase a "Full Retail" edition of Windows 7 (such as Home Premium) and perform a "clean install".  Please see: How
    To Clean Install Windows 7

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Manufacturers do not ship a free set of recovery dvds but you can purchase the recovery dvds from the manufacturer or a third party like Discovery-Disks.com for a fee.  You can then restore your original Vista and use a retail upgrade copy to upgrade to Windows 7.  Recovery disks generally cost between $30 and $50. 

Before you do any of this, though, check to see if you have a recovery partition on your computer.  That is the same as the recovery disks.  Check the manufacturer's website for how to start a recovery.  It is done by pressing a function key while you see the very first screen displayed when the computer starts.  Look at the bottom of the screen, it may say what key to use.  On mine it is F12.  It will restore your computer to its original Vista but you will lose all programs and files.  Be sure to back up your data first.

Of course you can simply purchase a full-license copy of Windows 7 and install.  Use the Windows 7 version of Windows Easy Transfer to save your files and settings if you choose that route.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:48 PM
    Answerer