"Reinstallation" vs "Recovery" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of replacing my primary hard drive.    My original configuration was two hard disks (80GB and 1.5TB) and an external, USB Disk.   My shared folders are all set to be duplicated.   

After replacing the primary drive with a new 2TB drive, I booted from the DVD.   When I boot without the external drive, my only choice is "New Installation".   If I include the external drive (which I was hoping to re-purpose elsewhere), I get an additional "Recovery" option -- nothing that says "Re-installation".    Are "Recovery" and "Reinstallation" the same thing?   If not, what do I loose by going the "Recovery" route?

Thanks.

Athena

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:40 PM

Answers

• Recovery and reinstallation are the same thing; the change in wording (which occurred when new media with PP1 baked in was sent to manufacturing) was to clarify what the two options were. 

Make sure you're loading storage drivers at the appropriate points; I would expect you to have the recovery option available even if the external drive isn't connected.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Friday, November 16, 2012 12:57 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:49 AM

All replies

• Recovery and reinstallation are the same thing; the change in wording (which occurred when new media with PP1 baked in was sent to manufacturing) was to clarify what the two options were. 

Make sure you're loading storage drivers at the appropriate points; I would expect you to have the recovery option available even if the external drive isn't connected.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Friday, November 16, 2012 12:57 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:49 AM
  • Okay.  But the recovery option definitely does not appear without the external disk attached.    I moved the external disk to another machine and as I suspected, it seems to have only shared folders.   I  assume the server was duplicating to that drive. 

I forgot to back up my shared folders before I pulled the primary disk and started the replacement.  When I saw the options, I put the old disk back, planning to do a backup.  The server wouldn't boot from the old disk though; there was a "missing hive" error.    

So I guess I now have no choice but to go ahead and do a new install on the new drive.   My only question is whether I should have the external drive attached during the install or wait until after the installation to attach it; leaving it out of the new storage pool then copy the folder contents to the new shared folders.   My only concern there is that I got some permission errors when I opened the folders on a Win7 machine and I don't want to be locked out of my folders.

Shared folder duplication is the primary reason I never migrated to WHS 2011 even though I have the disk.  I can't believe I forgot to back them up before I started!

Athena

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:15 AM