Help ! My disk is full.... how do I swap system drive ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had WHS running for around 6 months with no issues.

I have 3x500Gb & 1x150Gb

I setup the system on the 150Gb and 2x500gb extending storage
    and 1x500gb as backup.

My 150 is showing full and my 500Gb are around 40%, and is stopping me writing data to any...

What can I do ?

Andy
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:35 PM

Answers

• shared folders 13% = 146gb
    duplication 13% = 146gb
    pc backups 8% = 88Gb
    system 9% = 99gb
    free space 55% = 601gb
    This probably actually answers (indirectly) the question of why you've run out of space. A 150 GB disk (as measured by the manufacturer) is actually a 139 GB disk (as Windows counts things). Based on the numbers you've provided, it looks like there's a lot of space being used by the "system" (which is actually a catch-all for space used by anything that's outside of Drive Extender's control). This is very unusual in a Windows Home Server installation, as long as you use the server's shares as network shares . If you access the shares through the Windows Home Server file system directly (i.e. through D:\Shares\etc. from the server desktop or through \\server\d$\shares\etc. over your network) you can cause files placed in the shares to use space on the system drive, filling it up. I suspect that's what's happened to your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:20 AM
  • So, do I need to always use the default link on the desktop - "shared Folders on Server" from each PC to access or save ?

yes, since in d:\shares usually are only tombstones stored (pointers, which redirect access to files to the real storage space on the other disks). If you copy files directly to that location, Windows Home Server cannot create the tombstones properly and underlying mechanics will fail.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:56 PM
  • You should always access the server's shares using a UNC path and you should never use an admin share to do so. On a client computer, you can use the shortcut on the desktop, which is nothing more than a shortcut to \\server (or whatever your server is named). On the server, there's also a shortcut on the desktop, to \\localhost...
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:43 AM

All replies

• I have had WHS running for around 6 months with no issues.

I have 3x500Gb & 1x150Gb

I setup the system on the 150Gb and 2x500gb extending storage
    and 1x500gb as backup.

My 150 is showing full and my 500Gb are around 40%, and is stopping me writing data to any...

What can I do ?

Andy
    Are you copying data to \\server\[sharename] or some other method (i.e. D:\shares from the server desktop)?  What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Yes, I'm copying data to to \\server\[sharename ]

Version info:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:06 AM

Version info:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0
    Ok, you have the latest updates.  What is the exact error message you get when you try to copy a file to the server?  How much total space is shown the Server Storage pie chart (and each portion of the pie chart for that matter)?
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:22 PM
    duplication 13% = 146gb
    pc backups 8% = 88Gb
    system 9% = 99gb
    free space 55% = 601gb

It seams that the storage pool disks will only use space upto that of the smallest drive....

I deleted a load of stuff (which i didn't really want to) just to get going temporarily. The error message was along the lines of - unable to write due to disk space - please free some space...
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:36 PM
    Just in case...
    You did create the [sharename] through the WHS console, not from the WHS desktop using remote log-on?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, March 1, 2010 10:12 PM
    duplication 13% = 146gb
    pc backups 8% = 88Gb
    system 9% = 99gb
    free space 55% = 601gb
    This probably actually answers (indirectly) the question of why you've run out of space. A 150 GB disk (as measured by the manufacturer) is actually a 139 GB disk (as Windows counts things). Based on the numbers you've provided, it looks like there's a lot of space being used by the "system" (which is actually a catch-all for space used by anything that's outside of Drive Extender's control). This is very unusual in a Windows Home Server installation, as long as you use the server's shares as network shares . If you access the shares through the Windows Home Server file system directly (i.e. through D:\Shares\etc. from the server desktop or through \\server\d$\shares\etc. over your network) you can cause files placed in the shares to use space on the system drive, filling it up. I suspect that's what's happened to your server.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:20 AM
  • That would make sense, I have been acesing the shares through the Windows Home Server file system directly from the server desktop AND through \\server\d$\shares\etc. over the network.

So, do I need to always use the default link on the desktop - "shared Folders on Server" from each PC to access or save ?

Thankyou !

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:57 PM
  • So, do I need to always use the default link on the desktop - "shared Folders on Server" from each PC to access or save ?

yes, since in d:\shares usually are only tombstones stored (pointers, which redirect access to files to the real storage space on the other disks). If you copy files directly to that location, Windows Home Server cannot create the tombstones properly and underlying mechanics will fail.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:56 PM
  • You should always access the server's shares using a UNC path and you should never use an admin share to do so. On a client computer, you can use the shortcut on the desktop, which is nothing more than a shortcut to \\server (or whatever your server is named). On the server, there's also a shortcut on the desktop, to \\localhost...
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:43 AM

Olaf

Is there any way of telling what files or folders have been copied wrong?
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:59 AM
  • I'm actually rather curious about this myself. In the early days of my server, I copied a lot of files wrong too. Is there some way to correct this?
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:32 AM
  • If you aren't having any problem, there's no need to do anything.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Maybe you can cut the files/subfolders and put them to a different share to correct the issue.
    (If share 1 is empty and a duplication cycle run successfully in case the folders were duplicated folders, you should be able to move the files back to where you wanted to store them,)
    Olaf

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Currently, I sort of do have a problem. One of my storage drives is on its last legs, and I need to swap it out for another one. Is there some way to find out which files are in the actual storage space and which aren't?
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:20 PM
  • Currently, I sort of do have a problem. One of my storage drives is on its last legs, and I need to swap it out for another one. Is there some way to find out which files are in the actual storage space and which aren't?
    No.  But, unless you have problems when removing the drive through the Console, don't worry about it.  Best thing to do at this point is to swap out the drive ASAP (this way, if something does go wrong during the swap process, you might still be able to retrieve whatever data is left on that drive before it completely dies).
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:14 AM