OneCare error message on back-up: External hard drive not connected to specified location RRS feed

• Question

• I use an external hard drive for weekly OneCare backups. It has worked fine for months. Recently I removed all of the backup files and disconnected the hard drive so I could use it for another purpose (transfer files from one computer to another). Upon reconnecting it the back-up process no longer works.

After scanning my computer for new/changed files I receive an error message stating that the backup location is not attached to E:

That statement is correct - nothing is attached to the E: The external drive is H: From the OneCare menu I have selected "Change Settings" and confirmed that the backup location is indeed the H:

I'm sure this is a simple problem - any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:36 PM

Answers

• Yes, fortunately, it is fairly simple. It's a limitation of OneCare backup.
    By deleting the backup files and disconnecting/reconnecting the drive, your OneCare backup plan needs to be reset. The old plan can't find the files you deleted. See:

FAQ: How to reset backup plan settings (single PC)

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:48 PM