Conversion from Money Version 14.0.120.1105 to Money Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully converted data file to Sunset but now whenever I open Sunset I have two problems :-

1. It firstly always open the first trial data file I created rather than the data file successfully converted. How can I make it open the correct data ?

2. When I open the correct data file I keep getting an error message "A file needed to run the Planner is either missing or corrupted. To resolve the problem, reinstall Money and then reopen your Money file". I have reinstalled Money Sunset but this still happens. It does not happen opening the first trial data file referred to above. How can I get rid of this error message?

GeoHaz

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:08 AM

All replies

• 1) Make sure your data files is located in your Documents folder. It should open the last file it had open when you closed the app. What OS are you running on? Sounds like it might not have access to write this most recently used filename?!?

2) You might want to try a File|Repair|Quick Repair. Dunno if that'll solve your "planner files missing" issue but it'd be one thing I'd try.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Many thanks for this.

1.       I am running Windows 7. The data file is in a sub file of My Documents. I have tried moving it fully into My Documents but seems to make no difference

2.       I have tried both types of repair but again error still appears.

GeoHaz

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:52 PM
  • There are three types of repair: Quick, Standard Level 2 and Standard Level 1.

You are having trouble with the file converted to US Money Plus Sunset from your UK file. Hold onto your latest *.m14 file that was made when you did that conversion. It would be useful with UK Money 2005.

If you get into the problem US Money Plus Sunset  file, try Tools->Settings->PlannerSettings->ResetDebtPlan. If that solves it, good. If not, close Money.

Try adding the following key to Windows Registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Money\17.0]
    "DeleteLifeTimePlan"=dword:00000001

--------------------

One way to do that is to prepare this 4-line file, named perhaps
    DelLP17.reg in a text editor.  Then run the DelLP17.reg file before
    starting Money with your problem file open.

=========begin DelLP17.reg=================
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Money\17.0]
    "DeleteLifeTimePlan"=dword:00000001
    ==================end=================

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hi Geohaz

I did same upgrade (UK user), I get same error message  "A file needed to run the Planner is either missing or corrupted. To resolve the problem, reinstall Money and then reopen your Money file". However I just click ok and the program seems to just carry on fine.

It is just a little annoying of course!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Thank you for that.

What is the *.m14 file and what can open it?

I have tried reset debtplan but this forces Money to stop working and close down. In fact I think the Debt Planner still works and that it was "Financial Events" that first caused the problem so I removed it from the shortcuts.

I have created and run DelLP17.reg and confirm it was added to the appropriate registry (it ends with a number of zeros and then (0) ). I noted however that the resistry entries for 17.0 showed the 'Last run from' being Money 2005 as opposed to the new money file so I went to the 'MNYCore files for the latest version of Money and started by double clicking on msmoney.exe and this oddly enough did open the correct data file but I still had to go through the error message.

GeoHaz

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:22 PM
  • After reinstalling Money do you still have to click OK on the error message (which is the case with me) or does it no longer come up.?

GeoHaz

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:42 PM
  • The *.m14 file is a copy of your UK Money 2005 file as it existed at the time of conversion to US Money Plus Sunset. It would be what a sunset version of UK Money 2005 could read. That will be your probable action if the current experiment doesn't work out.

Too bad about the registry thing not helping.  You might try it with the file already open... I am not sure which is the right way. Also see if Tools->Settings->PlannerSettings->ResetDebtPlan helps.

One other thing you could consider is to do a QIF Export of all accounts, and an import of all of the .qif files, all at the same time, into a new file. This is some work, and not everything is brought over. It does give you a very clean file.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:06 PM
  • I have already tried Reset Debt Plan but this forces Money to stop working and close down. In fact I think the Debt Planner still works and that it was "Financial Events" that first caused the problem so I removed it from the shortcuts so as not to be tempted to try it. The other problem shortcut is I  think the Lfetime Planner.

I believe the QIF export will only do one account at a time and I have something like 10 or more accounts so would rather try this as a last resort or I suppose revert to Money 2005.

Is it known whether Microsoft are going to revise/update Money Plus Sunset? I thought I saw somewhere that they may do so for other than US users.

GeoHaz

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Exporting 10 accounts would take you what, 15 minutes? Remember to do two accounts for an investment account: the investment transactions, and the associated cash account. Choose a meaningful name for each file. The whole thing will take a lot longer than 15 minutes.... Probably under an hour.

If you want to do the QIF export/import, I would follow the steps
    in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830
    except in the first step 4, I would suggest this: start the name of
    the QIF file for the investment accounts with an underscore (_),
    and start the name of QIF files for the cash accounts associated
    with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
    _BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked.

Of course you will use a different filename for the new file, and
    you will have both versions to choose from when done.  I would also
    set up the backups to make sure they are using different names.

I don't expect a UK Money Plus Sunset. I do expect a UK Money 2005 Sunset-- whatever it's called. Don't expect it to  use your US Money Plus Sunset file. Expect it to be able to use your *.m14 file or any backups from your old UK Money 2005 *.mbf files.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/7a8004a7-4b5d-436c-b0c6-99167d9ce509

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:02 PM
  • I have had problems trying to import QIF files so what I have done is delete the Trial data file which Sunset would insist upon opening first and now it will open the other remaining correct data file still of course preceded by the error message to which I press OK and it then proceeds. It rather looks as if I will have to put up with the slight inconvenience of clicking OK on the error message. The alternative, in view of what you say about UK Money 2005 Sunset, may be to stick with Money 2005 for now. Is this what you would recommend?

GeoHaz

Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:37 AM
  • I know it's been a long time since anyone has commented on this thread but I'm a diehard user of Money and just did a update of Windows 10 and started getting this error message -  "A file needed to run the Planner is either missing or corrupted. To resolve the problem, reinstall Money and then reopen your Money file" - one one of my files (I have 3 files with different accounts in each).  Tried the in program "repair" tools but to no avail.  Just like some others, I could just click on "OK" when the message came up and it would go away and the program would run as if nothing was wrong but it still worried me so I did the registry edit that Carl suggested (manually) and had to restart the computer twice?? to get it to take.. but it did take and now no error message when I open that file, or any other for that reason. So if anyone reads this and wants to know if it works with Windows 10 ver 1709 - mine still does. Best Wishes!

Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for that. As you say it is a long time since I posted this problem. In fact I have stuck with Money 2005 but would be interested to know whether there is any useful later version usable in the UK or a more modern look a like.
    Friday, December 8, 2017 9:39 AM
  • The simple answer to your question is NO.  Money 2005 UK is the latest version that will work with a file created by Money UKWith a lot of work it is possible to import your data into the US Money Sunset.  But I doubt that the results are worth the effort.
    Sunday, December 10, 2017 4:28 AM