Unable to Reconfigure Backup after Install New Drive in PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have had an HP EX485 MSS for a couple of months now, and love it.

I have been backing up all 3 drives on my primary PC for the last 2 months with no issues.(C: D: E:)

Yesterday, I replaced the E: drive on my primary PC. I needed additional storage on that particular hard drive. So I copied the contents of my old PC E: drive to the new one. Then pulled the old drive out. The new drive has the same drive letter (E:) and name (E_Drive) as the drive I pulled out. (I had to do this since my iTunes libray was on this, and I didn't want iTunes to think I had a new drive installed)

After rebooting with the new E: drive, WHS gave me a warning that I had replaced a drive in my PC. So I went into the WHS console using the primary PC which I had just installed installed the larger E: drive. Selected the COMPUTERS & BACKUP tab on WHS. Selected the primary PC (Greg-Feb08). Then selected CONFIGURE BACKUP.

WHS went through the "please wait while the wizard collects information about your PC". Then WHS gives me the following error .....

"This computer is not online or WHS cannot access the computers hard drive. Please make sure the computer is powered on and connected to the network."

Of course the Computer I am using WHS is powered on and connected to the network.

I can select VIEW BACKUPS and it shows me the backup history for the PC I am trying to configure just fine. It even shows an "incomplete" backup from last night after I replaced the drive. If I select last nights incomplete backup and press DETAILS, it shows it backed up the 2 other drives (C: D:) just fine on this PC. But shows failed for the new larger E: drive which I just installed. (which I understand, and is why I am trying to configure Backup again for that PC)

The only change is I swapped one E: drive for a larger E: drive. Is WHS still trying to find the old E: drive I removed?

Basically I just want to reconfigure WHS backup to still backup all 3 drives (C: D: E:).

Thoughts or solutions? Thanks in advance.

Greg
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:19 PM

Answers

• Here is what I did to resolve my issue.

I powered down my Primary PC, and reinstalled the old (smaller E:) drive. Powered back on. Went through WHS Backup Configuration. I deselected the E: from the backup.

Then I powered down the PC, and reinstalled the newer/larger E: drive. Powered back on. Went through WHS Backup Configuration. Selected the new E: drive and it worked fine.

Not sure why you should have to remove a PC drive from backup before installing a larger/newer one, but that worked for me.

Hi,

There is another post on this same subject here and I've asked for a bug. Would you also be willing to file a bug and include your workaround? I've provided the instructions for filing a bug in the Windows 7/Windows Home Server bug post here.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:34 AM

All replies

I powered down my Primary PC, and reinstalled the old (smaller E:) drive. Powered back on. Went through WHS Backup Configuration. I deselected the E: from the backup.

Then I powered down the PC, and reinstalled the newer/larger E: drive. Powered back on. Went through WHS Backup Configuration. Selected the new E: drive and it worked fine.

Not sure why you should have to remove a PC drive from backup before installing a larger/newer one, but that worked for me.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 11:37 PM

Hi,

There is another post on this same subject here and I've asked for a bug. Would you also be willing to file a bug and include your workaround? I've provided the instructions for filing a bug in the Windows 7/Windows Home Server bug post here.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:34 AM
  • I am using Windows XP pro, not Windows 7. Do you still want me to file a bug report?

Thanks...
    Monday, May 25, 2009 6:02 PM
  • I am using Windows XP pro, not Windows 7. Do you still want me to file a bug report?

Thanks...

Please do.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, May 25, 2009 6:04 PM