Can't Backup to 8 GB Flash Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to help my father who recently got a new laptop.  The old one used XP, the new one Vista, although I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem.

He has an 8 gb flash drive which had been sufficient for his backups.  The first time he tried to backup on the new machine, OneCare said there wasn't enough room on the flash drive.  It said he needed to free up about 2 gb, so it seemed that the backup would work if the full drive space was available.  First, I had him delete folders (no luck), then reformat the flash drive to free up all of the space. (Still no luck)

When he tried to backup, OneCare said the F: drive was not supported.  We have been able to copy files to the drive, so it seems like OneCare is preventing writing to the drive.

We tried the most common solution, which is to turn off the backup, then reconfigure the settings to turn it back on.  This didn't work.  This is the only machine in the circle and we are trying to do the backup locally as opposed to using a centralized device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  My father lives about 1000 miles away so I can't get on his machine.  We've easily spent almost two hours on the phone together getting nowhere.

Friday, November 14, 2008 3:30 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your help, Steve.

I don't know how, but we managed to get it working.  We did change the "what" to something small and it worked, then went back in and selected all but two areas.  This yielded a size of 6.2gb which does fit on the drive.  However, all files yields about the same size, so I'm not sure why we had the problems we did.

I'm glad it's working now, and hopefully it stays that way, but this was a frustrating experience. 

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:49 PM

All replies

• When you say that format didn't work, I trust that you mean that with the drive formatted and blank, OneCare still won't backup to the device, not that it wasn't formatted.

Does it report that the device is unavailable while you are trying to configure it or while trying to perform the backup?

When he configures backup and selects "what" for the types of files to backup, what is the total size of the files to be backed up estimated by OneCare?

You may want to consider having your father contact OneCare support,

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, November 14, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Thanks for your help, Steve.

I don't know how, but we managed to get it working.  We did change the "what" to something small and it worked, then went back in and selected all but two areas.  This yielded a size of 6.2gb which does fit on the drive.  However, all files yields about the same size, so I'm not sure why we had the problems we did.

I'm glad it's working now, and hopefully it stays that way, but this was a frustrating experience. 

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for reporting back. You may want to consider getting him a small external hard drive for Christmas as he's running close to being out of room on the flash drive. :-)

The many quirks of backup are indeed mysterious. It is possible that the "all files" setting was going to need more room as that size is an estimate. The files are compressed for backup, but some files won't compress much, so that could have been the issue.

-steve

Friday, November 14, 2008 6:47 PM