How many times can a Windows 7 installation be activated online? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'd like to know how many times can I activate a Windows 7 retail installation online before it doesn't work anymore and have to call MS?

Is it related to the rearm option (which I can do 4 times) ??

Thank you.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• "HardKorn" wrote in message news:8b28172a-3082-4455-9a37-0f17cc29b50c...

Hi

I'd like to know how many times can I activate a Windows 7 retail installation online before it doesn't work anymore and have to call MS?

Is it related to the rearm option (which I can do 4 times) ??

Thank you.

Activation and rearming are totally different things.
    You can reactivate a Retail License about 5 times before having to phone in - there's no set number as far as I know - it may depend on what period of time the activations take place.
    After that, phone-in is necessary every time.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:46 PM
  • "about" 5 times"?

As in you don't know exactly. Could I find some exact info on this somewhere?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:50 PM
  • "HardKorn" wrote in message news:f80d86a7-889a-44eb-b5e8-eee77513aa42...

"about" 5 times"?

As in you don't know exactly. Could I find some exact info on this somewhere?

No - MS chooses not to publish it.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:57 PM

• No - MS chooses not to publish it.

Noel is correct.

My assumtion is that this information is felt to be more useful to the pirates then it iwould be to the general public.

Even I haven't been told the detail around this, but then again, I agree with the reasoning behind it and have choosen not to ask.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Microsoft has released that info here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/b56970fd-a655-4b8b-8a21-c9e8dbb1f818 , five times online for normal keys.

Windows can be activated any number of times, but your re-activation experience will vary based on the way you acquired Windows.

• If you acquired Windows via retail purchase (boxed product), you may activate via the Internet the first five times. Subsequent activations are allowed but must be completed via telephone.

• If you acquire Windows pre-installed on a computer, re-installation would not require additional activation steps unless significant hardware changes were made.

To activate Windows on this computer, do the following: 

Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button > click Computer > click Properties > click "Click here to activate Windows now".   If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Technet/MSDN keys at least 10 times online. I have heard of people that has activated 15 times online on the same key.

Kenneth Myhre
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:29 AM
  •  That's a link to a Support Rep post and he seems to be quoting from the Activation FAQs.  However, I am unable to find that information he is quoting in the FAQs or anywere else.

While I am sure he is correct, I wouldn't consider it set in stone untill it's actually published on a Microsoft web page vs posted in the forum.

Darin MS
    Monday, August 23, 2010 8:52 PM