OFX Import Problems in Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using Money Plus Sunset and trying to import OFX files. The system is a fresh install that has not had any prior version of Money on it. The .mny opens fine. It was last updated a week or so before end of service using Sunset on the prior system.

I'm trying to update my accounts by OFX download from my FI (USAA). I can download either the OFX or QFX with no problem. Opening them in a text editor, I can see information on recent transactions in several accounts. When I first tried to import into Money, I was asked which account to associate the file with. I picked one of the accounts, and that account was updated.

Is there something I have to do to set up Money to accept the data for the other accounts in the OFX, or is something perhaps mis-formatted in the file?. Any help is appreciated.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:59 PM

Answers

• I finally found the problem. I ended up corrupting the ofx when I tried to manually edit, so I went ahead and installed PocketSense. It still didn't work. Even when I closed the electronic accounts and opened new ones, it didn't work.

The problem was that I still had some even older accounts using those numbers. When USAA changed their access a few years ago, I was walked through a wizard that created the new accounts, and the old ones were closed, but still there. Money was putting the transactions there rather than the current account or the new ones.

I haven't yet, but I'll go back to my backup file, delete those old accounts, and try again.

• Marked as answer by DarthBinkly Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:39 PM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:38 PM

All replies

• As I understand it, you are going to the USAA website, and you are downloading OFX files. When you look at the file with your text editor, you will have a different "<ACCTID>" tag for each account number in the OFX/QIF file.  Are you saying you are downloading a single file with multiple accounts, or are you downloading one file for each account, but don't show new transactions except for the one account that works?

Are you sure there are new transactions in the USAA account that don't make their way to Money? If there is no new transaction, you won't see anything for the account.

If you associated an account to a closed account, that might cause a problem.

Another thing you might want to consider is PocketSense to get your files rather than having to go to the website. There is some effort to set that up, but it will save significant effort daily.

There are two question marks in this post.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:16 AM
  • When I go to USAA, I'm given an option either to download all my investment accounts or bank accounts. Selecting bank accounts, I get one OFX file. There are four separate <ACCTID> tags in the file.

There are definitely new transactions in the file. The last transactions that show up in Money, for any of my accounts, are from 1/23/11. There are many transactions since then according to the <FITID> tags and associating them with the web ledger. There are also transactions going back to 1/23 and before, at least for some of the accounts, so it is not a matter of having a gap.

Unless I've messed something up, I haven't closed any accounts in Money. They still show the lightning bolt symbol next to them. I have tried re-creating new accounts and closing the old ones, and then re-building the account numbers. That didn't help, so I've restored my .mny to one that was backed up about three weeks ago before I did a full system reinstall (hence the fresh Money install). Each time I restore and then try to import an OFX, I get the same wizard, and the same result--only one transaction adds, and all accounts report as current as of 1/23. I've restored the older .mny and used new OFXs every couple of days, with the same result. The transaction was a straggler in a less-commonly used account that happened not to have been downloaded before online services were turned off. I just checked, and it's not the first or last account in the OFX. Based on this, it seems at first glance like it's refusing to update transactions newer than a certain time on 1/23.

I'm planning to explore PocketSense and other options, but figured I should first get the OFX import working.

Did I illuminate or add confusion? Any help is appreciated.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Good description. The first thing we want to do is to get rid of those lighting bolts.  Ideally you would have disabled the accounts for online access before bringing the file into Sunset, but that might not be a problem. What you want to do is is AccountList->ManageOnlinesServices. There try to disable each account for online access.

Let's see if that helps first.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:21 AM
  • That is helpful. I've now made some progress.

I restored to my older backup. I confirmed that the one transaction that I thought was updating was already in there. When I went to manage online services, it told me I had to change, and started taking me through what I recognized as the manual account setup wizard. Not wanting to do all that if I didn't have to, I cancelled from that and found that the lightning bolts have gone away.

I then re-imported the OFX. I noticed something I hadn't before, that, in the dialog box, it listed only the account number for the first account that appears in Money's account list. This is not the first account in the OFX. When I matched it with the correct Money account, it correctly updated that account. The last dialog, that reads, "These account balances were reported by your financial institution," lists only that one account.

So, it seems now that Money is only recognizing one of the multiple accounts in the OFX. Would PocketSense avoid the problem? Does it work by account or lump by institution?

And, before I install it, will I break anything by manually deleting all but one of the accounts from the OFX and seeing if the remaining one imports properly?

Thanks for all your help!

Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:39 AM
  • So, it seems now that Money is only recognizing one of the multiple accounts in the OFX. Would PocketSense avoid the problem? Does it work by account or lump by institution?

And, before I install it, will I break anything by manually deleting all but one of the accounts from the OFX and seeing if the remaining one imports properly?

PocketSense does an independent request for each account, and so it gets a separate OFX file for each account.  Yes, it would avoid the problem.

Regarding being worried about breaking something, your backups let you undo things that do not work out. You may want to increase the number of backups that Money keeps. Disk space is cheap.

Your experiment sounds interesting. If you can handle that, it might help. Another experiment would be to remove the account number of the account that does import in Money. Then see if Money asks where things go.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:14 PM
  • I finally found the problem. I ended up corrupting the ofx when I tried to manually edit, so I went ahead and installed PocketSense. It still didn't work. Even when I closed the electronic accounts and opened new ones, it didn't work.

The problem was that I still had some even older accounts using those numbers. When USAA changed their access a few years ago, I was walked through a wizard that created the new accounts, and the old ones were closed, but still there. Money was putting the transactions there rather than the current account or the new ones.

I haven't yet, but I'll go back to my backup file, delete those old accounts, and try again.

• Marked as answer by DarthBinkly Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:39 PM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:38 PM
  • You may just be able to blank out the account numbers on the accounts that are wrongly receiving the OFX info. That should cause Money to ask once again where the statement information should go.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:43 PM
  • You can utilise iCreateOFX Basic to repair corrupted bank and creditcard OFX files (also to covert CSV and QIF to OFX).
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:30 PM