none
" The file can not be accessed by the system " Nightmare on 400 GB of data and backups

Question

• Hi All,

after a new installation im triyng to read old shares folder from the old disk but appear this message : " The file can not be accessed by the system " and i only read the title of the file and i can't open or move it.

I hope in a resolution, i have all my documents stored there ! :(

Seomone can help me ?

Max

*Sorry for my english, im Italian
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:02 AM

Answers

• If you did not re-use the old disk(s) in the new installation the procedure outlined below should do the trick. If you DID re-use the disks in the new install please explain what in detail how you did this. 

If the old disk was the system disk in your previous install then you should find the original files  in a hidden folder "DE\shares" on the D partition of the original disk. If the old disk was a data disk in your previous WHS install then you should find the original files in a hidden folder "DE\shares" in the root of that disk.

Please note you may need to enable "view hidden files and folders" on the computer you are using to get the files:

Windows XP and Windows 2003

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
    2. Double-click on the My Computer icon.
    3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    4. After the new window appears select the View tab.
    5. Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
    6. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
    8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
    9. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
    10. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Windows Vista

2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
    3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
    4. When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
      1. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
      2. Click on the View tab.
      3. Go to step 5.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:
      1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link .
      2. Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
      3. Go to step 5.

5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
    7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
    8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.

• Marked as answer by Max Parisotto Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:11 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:43 AM

All replies

• If you did not re-use the old disk(s) in the new installation the procedure outlined below should do the trick. If you DID re-use the disks in the new install please explain what in detail how you did this. 

If the old disk was the system disk in your previous install then you should find the original files  in a hidden folder "DE\shares" on the D partition of the original disk. If the old disk was a data disk in your previous WHS install then you should find the original files in a hidden folder "DE\shares" in the root of that disk.

Please note you may need to enable "view hidden files and folders" on the computer you are using to get the files:

Windows XP and Windows 2003

2. Double-click on the My Computer icon.
    3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    4. After the new window appears select the View tab.
    5. Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
    6. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
    8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
    9. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
    10. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Windows Vista

2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
    3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
    4. When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
      1. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
      2. Click on the View tab.
      3. Go to step 5.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:
      1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link .
      2. Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
      3. Go to step 5.

5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
    7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
    8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.

• Marked as answer by Max Parisotto Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:11 AM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:43 AM
  • Old disk was system disk.

In DE\Shares was the solution :)

Thanks a lot ! you saved me hehe

Max
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:13 AM
  • This helped me some but not all the folders and files can be found in the DE\shares folder... I wonder where else can I find the missing hidden folders and files. Any suggestions?
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 11:38 AM
  • If I install WHS 2011 and connect by USB the old drive, would I be able to retrieve my published shares folders?

Sunday, July 6, 2014 11:40 AM
  • If you can't find the files on your HDD, WHS2011 will not help. Did you have more than one data disk?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:24 PM
  • Thank you x1000! You helped me find my missing family pictures/videos!!!

Have a great day bro!

Cheers!

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:30 PM