Problem with Windows Product Key after Windows Reinstall.(also after an upgrade) RRS feed

• Question

• I was reinstalling my OS(didnt back up anything), and when it prompted for the CDkey i realized i had lost it.

But when i entered it in it was saying it was invalid.

I did upgrade my CPU and this is the first time i am reinstalling Windows after i upgraded my CPU, so that could be the issue. I really don't have the cash to cash to call Microsoft up though.

So is there any ways you guys could help me get this Windows install through?
    • Edited by RickImAPC Monday, November 3, 2008 10:25 PM Removed PK Information
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:21 PM

Answers

• CDdude55, 

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.
    Your post is out of scope for the WGA program forum as well as out of our expertise. I believe your scenario is that you have restored your computer back to factory condition and have lost your Product Key and are unable to pass Windows Product Activation. If your computer is an OEM machine like a Gateway  or Dell, and you used your Recovery Media to restore your computer, you may be able to contact your OEM to get further assistance. It may or may not be cheaper to pay for a support call with them so that they may verify your purchase/registration information and provide you with further instructions.

If your copy is Retail, you could call product activation at Microsoft, however they are going to need a Product Key which would be giving you difficulty to assist you. Not having a valid genuine Product Key would limit their ability to assist you. If you would still like to try the telephone activation center, here is the information:

Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851                   

I apologize however at this time there is no other informationt I have to offer. Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Rick

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Monday, November 3, 2008 10:38 PM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:37 PM

All replies

• Microsoft Supplemental and Replacement Parts at: X-XXX-XXXX, and they can give you a replace ment product key, and if neccesary, a CD. A fee may apply.
    • Edited by motherboardlove Sunday, November 2, 2008 11:38 PM
    • Edited by RickImAPC Monday, November 3, 2008 10:26 PM Removed Telephone Number
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 11:37 PM
  • CDdude55, 

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.
    Your post is out of scope for the WGA program forum as well as out of our expertise. I believe your scenario is that you have restored your computer back to factory condition and have lost your Product Key and are unable to pass Windows Product Activation. If your computer is an OEM machine like a Gateway  or Dell, and you used your Recovery Media to restore your computer, you may be able to contact your OEM to get further assistance. It may or may not be cheaper to pay for a support call with them so that they may verify your purchase/registration information and provide you with further instructions.

If your copy is Retail, you could call product activation at Microsoft, however they are going to need a Product Key which would be giving you difficulty to assist you. Not having a valid genuine Product Key would limit their ability to assist you. If you would still like to try the telephone activation center, here is the information:

Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851                   

I apologize however at this time there is no other informationt I have to offer. Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Rick

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Monday, November 3, 2008 10:38 PM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:37 PM