WHS on MSDN Downloads RRS feed

• Question

• I spoke to several folks on the WHS team at PDC08 and they all told me to expect WHS in MSDN downloads by November.  I still don't see it...  Is this going to happen?  I sure hope so.

Thanks,

Ian
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:03 AM

Answers

• R. Ian Lee said:

I spoke to several folks on the WHS team at PDC08 and they all told me to expect WHS in MSDN downloads by November.  I still don't see it...  Is this going to happen?  I sure hope so.

Thanks,

Ian

Yes it is supposed to happen.  However, there was some delay in getting it available on MSDN.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by R. Ian Lee Thursday, January 1, 2009 4:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:36 AM

All replies

• R. Ian Lee said:

I spoke to several folks on the WHS team at PDC08 and they all told me to expect WHS in MSDN downloads by November.  I still don't see it...  Is this going to happen?  I sure hope so.

Thanks,

Ian

Yes it is supposed to happen.  However, there was some delay in getting it available on MSDN.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by R. Ian Lee Thursday, January 1, 2009 4:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Hello,
    I got mine from MAPS, but the ProductKey isn't valid. Any glue? 
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:08 PM
  • sailer.w said:

Hello,
    I got mine from MAPS, but the ProductKey isn't valid. Any glue? 

Hi,

This is a known issue.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:26 PM
  • I only know of the eval version is available on connect.microsoft.com.

Do we have any release dates for WHS being posted on MSDN?

I have the HP Mediasmart server but I would prefer to have the plain vanilla install of WHS. I am not a big fan of vendors loading software on top of Microsoft OSes. I would rather have the base install and then have the choice to install additional packages later on.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Strictly speaking, you are not permitted to use MSDN software in a "production" environment. It's for development and testing. However, with an HP MediaSmart Server, the question is moot; you are very unlikely to be able to install generic software on that hardware without some serious "unsupported" modifications to the normal process.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:14 PM
  • I agree. If I would have done more research I probably would have bought my own hardware and then installed WHS on it. Unfortunately the money is already spent and there is no going back now.

I would really like to remove the HP software on my Mediasmart server but there really is no procedure on how to do it. Therefore my only option would be to start with a clean re-install. I probably won't do that though. It is more trouble than it is worth.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:33 PM