Firewall Problem (split from original thread) Programs Blocked RRS feed

• Question

• Okay. The problem with Windows Live OneCare is because it blocks basically all the gaming device/programs installed on my computer. I try to access or open them and Windows Live OneCare automatically blocks it. I don't know how and I don't know why. The firewall we try to turn off it goes back on. I'm assuming that it is Windows Live OneCare because of these problems.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:17 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the follow-up post.

To get the housekeeping out of the way, since I don't know if you got the deleted post notification, I split this post off and deleted the original thread due to the language used and complaints received.

Now, to address the actual problem.

Can you provide more information on the specific game programs and devices that you are having problems with?

OneCare will block unknown programs - and should ask you if you wish to allow that program, at which point you would need to typically restart the program after allowing it to have network access. If the program is blocked and you are not prompted, this may be due to the fact that the program is recognized as malicious *or* there is a conflict with other security software that is still on the PC from before OneCare was installed.

You can turn off the OneCare firewall temporarily only from within OneCare - change settings, firewall tab, select the amount of time for it to be off. It can't be permanently turned off. If you don't want to use the OneCare firewall, you'll need to select a different security solution for virus and spyware protection, too, as OneCare is not a mix-and-match solution.

If you open OneCare, click on Change Settings, Firewall tab, then go to Advanced and Programs, you will see a list of programs that have been blocked by OneCare and also those that have been allowed by you or automatically.

Where this can all be a problem is when the program you wish to run changes its footprint or "signature" every time it runs. OneCare will block, ask you to allow or block, and then you run the program again. Since it doesn't look like the same program to OneCare then next time you run it, it will be blocked again - it is an endless cycle and one that cannot be resolved through settings within OneCare. This type of problem is, however, rare. I'd be more suspicious of a conflict.

I'm not sure what game devices would be blocked, unless these devices need Internet access through your PC. If this is the case, then the above applies. If the devices need to communicate with your PC and they are network based devices, not connected to your PC directly, then it may require allowing a program, port, protocol, or all of them for that device to function properly.

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:34 PM