Windows Home Server does not show up in Network Places on PC or in Finder on MAC RRS feed

• Question

• I have a EX470 HP WHS running through an Airport Extreme Gigabit 802.11N.  On the PC I can connect using the Windows Console so it knows it's there but it does not show in Network places. I have tied rebooting all the players and nothing. Same goes for the MAC it does not show up in Finder.  FYI I also have a Buffalo Tera NAS device on the same router and it shows in both places.  I have no clue how to remedy this. All firewalls are turned off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• I have a EX470 HP WHS running through an Airport Extreme Gigabit 802.11N.  On the PC I can connect using the Windows Console so it knows it's there but it does not show in Network places. I have tied rebooting all the players and nothing. Same goes for the MAC it does not show up in Finder.  FYI I also have a Buffalo Tera NAS device on the same router and it shows in both places.  I have no clue how to remedy this. All firewalls are turned off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Is your server part of the same workgroup as your clients?  NOTE:  Changing the workgroup on WHS is unsupported (because it involves logging into the server desktop).  Frankly, if everything else is working (shares, backups, etc.), I would suggest you leave well enough alone.  :)
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Thats a terrible response. the user is telling you that the server is not listed as a computer in their network and that they cannot see the WHS shares, and you tell them so what? Im also having this concern after reloading the WHS for the third time. It displays in 'other devices' and the only thing alavailable is the WHS webpage. The first time i set it up i was able to see all of the WHS shares like any other network share. now I see none. Before dismissing this user, take the time to understand what the concern is. Now I too have to go find out why i dont see all of my WHS shares like I should.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:27 PM
  • The only thing you get by changing the workgroup on your server (easy to do, though as kariya21 said it's technically unsupported) is having your server appear in Network Neighborhood. Which isn't needed, because when you install the connector you automatically get a shortcut to your server's shares on your desktop.

That said, if you want to change it, you do so exactly the same way you would in e.g. Windows XP.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:54 PM
  • On 6/20/2010 3:54 PM, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

The only thing you get by changing the workgroup on your server (easy to do, though as kariya21 said it's technically unsupported) is having your server appear in Network Neighborhood. Which isn't needed, because when you install the connector you automatically get a shortcut to your server's shares on your desktop.

That said, if you want to change it, you do so exactly the same way you would in e.g. Windows XP.

Odd. I didn't get the shortcut on my desktop when I installed the connector.  However I was able to create one by going through the New--> Shortcut and putting in my server name (\\servername).  And like the op and the second person, my server shows up as an "Other Device" when I click on Network.  Typically what I end up doing is typing \\servername in the Address bar at the top (after clicking the "Toast" to put the address bar in non-breadcrumb mode), and it goes there directly.

So, for the OP and the second respondent, as an alternative, you can either use the Shared Folders shortcut (if your connector created it) or create a shortcut on your desktop that points to the Shared Folders on your server (which in my case opens properly).

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:12 PM