Can I run Hyper-V under WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if it's possíble?
    The idea is to have a virtual machine inside WHS running "Windows 7 Home Premium", so i don't need an extra box just to provide the media center experience to my Xbox consoles.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:47 AM

All replies

• It's possible, but I very much doubt if you'll be satisfied with the
    "media center experience" in the VM (no matter the Virtualization
    solution,) and forget about any modern gaming.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:58 AM
  • How about running  WHS  on the  virtual PC  of  the  windows  7?

I have considered  this  solution  for  a  long  time.

WHS is ready!
    Monday, January 31, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Hyper-V will not run on WHS. Virtual server 2005, Virtual PC 2007 or VMware server should all do the trick, however as Bob said you will probably experience serious performance issues.
    Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Monday, January 31, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Hyper-V will not run on WHS. Virtual server 2005, Virtual PC 2007 or VMware server should all do the trick, however as Bob said you will probably experience serious performance issues.
    What  I think  is  to install Windows 7 first. The native windows 7 will improve  the  game and media center  performance.  We can  install WHS  as a guest OS via  virtual  PC  or  vmware.
    WHS is ready!
    Monday, January 31, 2011 9:53 AM
  • It's possible but disks are kind of a pain. Windows Virtual PC only
    has a max size of 127G for .VHD's, so you'd have to supplement the
    disks by using external USB drives attached to the VM.

I never had a lot of luck running WHS in a VM other than test as it
    seems to be fairly susceptible to corruption, but others run it that
    way all the time.  Other Virtualization solutions can get you by
    Windows Virtual PC's disk limitations..

Monday, January 31, 2011 2:06 PM
  • What I think is to install Windows 7 first. The native windows 7 will improve the game and media center performance. We can install WHS as a guest OS via virtual PC or vmware.
    Yes, this is what I do. Windows 7 HTPC host, using VMWare Server with the LSI logic disk drivers, which allow disk sizes greater than 128GB. I have the VM files in an external eSata enclosure using RAID1 (single disk WHS system).

This system has worked well for me for over a year now, but I do not stress the WHS very greatly.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:53 PM

Do you believe I will have performance issues even though the only purpose of this VM will be to provide media center UI to the Xbox consoles?
    Also, I need the Media Center just for pictures and videos, not games.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:22 PM
  • What I think is to install Windows 7 first. The native windows 7 will improve the game and media center performance. We can install WHS as a guest OS via virtual PC or vmware.
    Yes, this is what I do. Windows 7 HTPC host, using VMWare Server with the LSI logic disk drivers, which allow disk sizes greater than 128GB. I have the VM files in an external eSata enclosure using RAID1 (single disk WHS system).

This system has worked well for me for over a year now, but I do not stress the WHS very greatly.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Yes. The raid protection  is  important for  this  solution.  Some body mentioned that it will be really difficult to export the data if there is an error on the disk. 

WHS is ready!
    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:42 PM
  • >Do you believe I will have performance issues even though the only purpose of this VM will be to provide media center UI to the Xbox consoles?

I don't have an Xbox so I don't know what that entails.

>Also, I need the Media Center just for pictures and videos, not games.

Playing full screen video in a VM is not practical in my experience. 

Hyper-V with RemoteFX could do it, but not on a single PC and you'd
    need some good hardware...

Monday, January 31, 2011 3:51 PM
  • If I had to do this I would get the stand-alone version of Hyper-V, install on decent hardware, then run Mediacenter and WHS as guests. For WHS I would wait until the next version RTM's.

Monday, January 31, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Actually I won't be playing anything on the WMC virtual machine.
    The main (and only) purpose of this VM is to allow Xbox to act as a media center extender.

Here is an overview of what I have in my mind:

1- Have all my files (including media files) on a WHS. It will be easier to get remote access and to my wife to keep all in one place.

2- Since WHS can stream media but without the Windows Media Center UI experience, I need a second box for that (here is where the VM comes in hand)

3- However, the WMC VM will stand there just to provide the UI experience to the extenders (Xbox consoles).

The main idea is to have a centralized file storage (with all the benefits of WHS) and the Media Center (UI) experience in all rooms through the extenders (Xbox consoles), And what I'm trying to do is to optimize the setup with one box instead of two.

Monday, January 31, 2011 8:38 PM
  • If I had to do this I would get the stand-alone version of Hyper-V, install on decent hardware, then run Mediacenter and WHS as guests. For WHS I would wait until the next version RTM's.

I though about that but heard a few people saying that WHS as a VM doesn't run smooth as expected.
    Anyways, is there a new version coming?
    Monday, January 31, 2011 8:40 PM