Offline files Sync only one way RRS feed

• Question

• I use offline files to sync btw a SBS and a notebook. When plugged into the network (LAN or VPN) the sync works. Once I take the XP Notebook offline I can access the sync files and modify. However once I go back online, the sync with the server does not work and sync error appear. If I opt for the sync to take the write the offline file on the server it then delees it on the server but does not write the offline file.

The only way to restore the file is to then go offline, copy the modified file on an external drive (Mem Key). Then go back online and copy the file to its initial location. I.e. do the "sync" manualy. Once the new files is on the server it sync perfectly with the notebook. Back to square 1.

Does anybody have an idea to help set up the sync function correctly?

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:46 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• I do not understand whether this is using the Sync framework or not.

Also I am not clear on the scenario you describe.

Please add more details so that the scenario and the process can be understood.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:06 AM
  • I do use the sync framework. The problem is that it only works one way i.e. sync from the server to the notebook. If any file is open or modified offline on the notebook, it is then impossible to sync the offline files back to the server.

The error message is: Offline files(...) access to "doc name" is denied on //server/folder/

For newly created documents in offline mode, the sync simply does not work.

For offline modified documents, the sync application asks for the priority in terms of sync (server file or offline) and then fails. The server file is even deleted but not replaced by the offline file if the offline file is chosen. Hence, it  leads to loss of data integrity.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:04 AM
  • Are you using the file sync provider that is shipped with the framework or you have a provider of your own?

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:26 AM
  • Yes I am using the one that is provided with Windows XP SP2

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:32 AM
  • Yeah I have same problem. It sync only one way. I tried to clear cache but it did not resolve that problem

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:28 AM
  •  

Looks like Microsoft does not know as I am still waiting for an answer...
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:41 PM
  • This forum ( and team ) ships the Microsoft Sync Framework and the File Sync Provider.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c88ba2d1-cef3-4149-b301-9b056e7fb1e6&displaylang=en

This is different from the Offline Files feature available on XP and Vista. I am sorry but you are going to have ask this question on one of the Windows forums.

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:37 PM
    Answerer