Onecare Restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am using OneCare live for around 2 years. I used a 750GB HDD for my backup. It was working fine until I connected my HDD to my Dlink router with Shareport. When I tried to change the Backup location to the HDD connected to the Dlink router, it didnt work. So, I connected the HDD to my laptop again. Now I am not able to see any folders under the Windows OneCare Backup folder but Properties for the HDD shows that it has 700GB full. I am using this HDD only for Onecare backup. I know I have the files in there but I cant see it nor Onecare can see it. When I try to restore from my HDD, Onecare says that "Onecare cannot find a current or previous backupfor this computer........" Now, how do I fix it. I have set all the right permissions etc.......
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:34 PM

Answers

• I suspect that the DLink router may have altered the file system on the external drive. If that is the case, I don't think you will be able to recover the old backups. You should format the drive and reset your backup plan, performing a new, full backup. If you wish to recover some data from the old backup first, you may be able to manually open the .zip files from the backup location before you format the drive.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:40 AM

All replies

• I don't know if this will work or not as I've never tried it but try using System Restore to restore your computer to a time before you changed the backup location.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:43 PM
  • I suspect that the DLink router may have altered the file system on the external drive. If that is the case, I don't think you will be able to recover the old backups. You should format the drive and reset your backup plan, performing a new, full backup. If you wish to recover some data from the old backup first, you may be able to manually open the .zip files from the backup location before you format the drive.
    -steve
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:40 AM
  • Thanks Jim. I tried the System restore but it didnt help.

Thanks Steve! If Dlink has altered the file system and I cannot see any folders in the Backup folder, is there a way for me to open the .zip files?

Thanks
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/308421

That's for XP.

This is for Vista: http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/07/11/how-to-take-ownership-of-files-and-folders-in-vista/

Once you have ownership of the folder and sub-folder, if you can now see the .zip files within, you should be able to open them with WinZip or similar compression utility.

-steve

Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:10 PM