Offsite backup - WHS to WHS - friends network RRS feed

• Question

• I've been thinking that it would be cool if there was a solution that enabled offsite backup of the WHS content. The solution could be a p2p solution where the content is encrypted and WHS owners are providing each other space, ie you can store as much offsite as you allow other to store on your WHS. The network could be limited to trusted persons like family members, friends etc. So something like buddybackup for WHS would be a cool addon.

Is anybody working on this?
    - Chr
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you read through the forum, you will find numerous methods of people doing this, (or something similar).

Personally, we use SecondCopy to backup between two WHS networks across the country, easy and automated. We also use Hamachi to remotely backup laptop computers that are away at school.

Colin

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you read through the forum, you will find numerous methods of people doing this, (or something similar).

Personally, we use SecondCopy to backup between two WHS networks across the country, easy and automated. We also use Hamachi to remotely backup laptop computers that are away at school.

Colin

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:08 PM
  • thanks for the tip Colin.
    I'll look around for the SecondCopy/Hamachi solutions.
    - Chr
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Some things to consider: what kind of upstream bandwidth do you and your proposed peer have available, since you may be looking at transferring many GB of data? And does your ISP grant you permission to run servers in their terms of service?

That said, transferring small amounts of data via a VPN solution as has been suggested by another poster is very workable.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:00 PM
  • those are good points Ken.

In my case I have a 5mb download and 1.5mb upload. That the most juice I can squeeze out of my phone line. my ISP offers 20mb down and 2mb up as max capacities. There is no limations on usage - it's flat fee and there are no restrictions on number of machines behind the router. It's even possible to order additional IP addresses if that is needed.

The initial replication to other WHS would of course be slow but if there in the future would be an easy solution to point to certain directories for offsite backup and easy way to link into other WHS by sharing space then I think it would a rather neat feature and much cheaper than using Amazon S3 or some other Online Storage. Of course the space on the offsite location would have to be encrypted and the same goes for the space made available on the local WHS.

- Chr
    Friday, January 11, 2008 4:17 PM
  • I would still love to see this idea eventually setup so you could synchronize between two WHS machines. After all, 2003 natively supports clustering. Why not allow them to save back and forth?
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:24 PM