Cannot Backup to External Drive and Stuck in CD/DVD Backup Location RRS feed

• Question

• Have WLOC 2.0 installed on Windows XP PRO (host pc), and I have been running into a problem with backing up (centralized backup, it is unchecked no centralized no backup), to Western Digital My Book external hard drive, drive is turn on. 

The error I keep getting is “Backup cannot continue, OneCare could not back up files to the network share because the current user does not have write permissions. Please log on as a user with write permissions to the share, and then try running backup again.” Could this error be from the fact there is a previous OneCare (production) folder already there? I have never had to reinstall OC or install with a previous OneCare backup folder on this external hard drive, and I am not sure how it turns out.

I have right click on OneCare Backup folder, change permissions for my own user to full control from read. Also, went ahead and changed from not shared to share for everyone. Still cannot backup to the external drive.

I should have known better than to do this, I change the backup location to CD/DVD drive and ran backup (didn’t like the files that were include, but that is in another thread). Client pc was turn off at that time and then later tried to reconfigure backup location on Host pc to the same external drive for centralized backup. First did a restart, nothing changed and then shut down the host pc overnight, still stuck in CD/DVD backup location.

This is where OC on the host contradicts itself in the main user interface under Backup and Restore, backup location is CD/DVD, and the settings in Configure backup reads *Backup plan for all PCs, external hard drive and correct drive’s letter*. But if I start a backup it will be the CD/DVD backup location.

The client pc appears to be ok and has backup (centralized backup), to the external hard drive, but then OC 2.0 was installed on the client pc without a previous OC installed, if that really matters.

Thanks

Saturday, August 4, 2007 8:20 PM

Answers

• I'll take a stab in the dark as I skim through the forums this evening...

I believe that the settings for Centralized backup may differ from the default backup wizard which would be invoked for a normal backup, hence the CD\DVD choice.

Perhaps someone can step in on this as I *still* haven't had time to poke at backup extensively.

-steve

Sunday, August 5, 2007 1:44 AM

All replies

• I'll take a stab in the dark as I skim through the forums this evening...

I believe that the settings for Centralized backup may differ from the default backup wizard which would be invoked for a normal backup, hence the CD\DVD choice.

Perhaps someone can step in on this as I *still* haven't had time to poke at backup extensively.

-steve

Sunday, August 5, 2007 1:44 AM
  • Thanks, Steve.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 5:02 AM
  • Steve,

I guess not too many users at some point in time I have found them selves in the situation that I have described in my original post.

In theory, I think OneCare 2.0 is viewing the previous OneCare folder on the usb external hard drive for centralize backup (hub pc) as belonging to a different user, if I can take the error message for *face value*. Again, this is the error I mention in my first post, and after first installing OneCare, configuring the pc as the hub and centralize backup, this is the error I continue to run into. Whether this is a bug or has been simply created because of the situation (previous OneCare Back folder?) with my setup, not sure. The only choice now is using CD/DVD for backup. So, your reply makes sense to what I am experiencing in the whole view.    

So, I have decided (curiosity) to go to a little extra work, manually backing up my files, what I have not already done, including OneCare’s support zip files that I have in separate folders. Then wipe the (host) drive, restore from a previous image file, without OneCare (any version) installed. If I can’t remove the previous OneCare folder from the external hard drive, then it will need to be wiped too. At the moment host and client pc are not turn on at the same time.

My only concern would be the client pc, since it is configured for centralized backup on the external hard drive and has successfully backup the first time. I don’t want to create an unforeseen issue here. Hopefully starting a new backup after the host has been configured will prevent this with the client pc.  .

Thanks,

Knightsky

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 11:35 PM
  • Before wiping things and starting with a clean slate (which would mean redoing the backups for the client PCs as the Share will be gone), have you tried setting the hub/host PC to use Centralized Backup since it is, after all, the host for the backup for the other PCs?

I'd rather that you left the PC as it is and work through this with the OneCare team or support in case you've encountered a bug. The existence of the prior backup on the external drive is not likely to be the problem. The issue seems to more of one where the external drive is a Share on the Network, but the host/hub PC is not being granted access to that Share - despite the fact that it is a local drive to the host/hub. It appears to be a permissions issue more than anything else.

-steve

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 1:52 PM
  •  

Steve,

I agree with you, the more I thought about the previous OneCare’s backup folder; it didn’t make sense it would be the source of the issue. Thanks for the second opinion, rather use the drastic measure of wiping the hard drive, when it is the only choice to straighten out a mess.

From day one of installing OneCare on the host pc, configuring the pc as a hub, and Centralized Backup. This has been the issue I can’t get beyond it.

Original Error:  “Backup cannot continue OneCare could not back up files to the network share because the current user does not have write permissions. Please log on as a user with write permissions to the share, and then try running backup again.”

Ok, this is what I have tried with the backup folder, change permissions for my own user to full control from read. Really didn’t think that would do anything, since I am logged in as the current user, at least with Windows, and it didn’t.

The hub pc was originally configured to use the Centralized Backup, when the first scheduled backup ran, hence the original error.

My mistake *I should know better* when seeing there is an issue here. Was changing the Location of backup to CD/DVD for the hub pc, now cannot change the location back to Centralized Backup and have it work. Yes, I have tried configuring the location of the backup again and failed.

Here is where visibly there is no match. In the Backup Settings, configure backup reads Centralized Backup and the external hard drive. In the main UI under Backup and Restore, Backup location is CD/DVD. Try a backup and it will be CD/DVD.

Maybe I should file a bug report in case it is and I’ll contact support see what they think.

Thanks,

Knightsky

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Sorry for the late rely, yesterday's forum problems kept me away for the day. Yes, file a bug on it! Thanks.

-steve

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply, yesterday's forum problems kept me away for the day. Yes, file a bug on it! Thanks.

-steve

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Steve,

I know how that is, *problems* goes, filed a bug report and currently working with Support Engineer. We have covered basically the same ground and I can visibly see when resetting permission, I am blocked... I'll let you know which way I have to go with this.

Knightsky

Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:11 AM
  •  

Steve,

Since covering the same ground with OneCare Support on troubleshooting this issue, getting nowhere solving it and I have already lost some patience with OneCare Support. The choices to save all files and wipe both drives then start completely all over, looked like a better way to go.  It did solve the backup up issue for OneCare 2.0 and I suspect the reasoning behind OneCare stuck in CD/DVD Backup Location. May have been because of Roxio’s Drag to Disk program was installed even though the DVD drive that was configured in OneCare.  Was disabled for use in Drag to Disk, I have two internal DVD drives.  

Now I should be OK with OneCare 2.0, desktop hub pc, but no I am not. After installing then activating OneCare, has now created a *cannot start error*. From what I have observed with both hub and client pcs, that when online activation was done, the Hub pc’s computer name was change in OneCare only and both pc’s are now in this shape after the Hub made contact with the client. Cover this new issue in more detail elsewhere later.

Knightsky

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:46 PM
  • Ouch, ouch, ouch. :-(

I think I should just go to bed early this evening...

Sorry to read about the new problems.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:22 AM