some general questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefully its alright to ask general questions here.  If not, where would I post?

A small business has approx 5 employees. Will not grow, so Small business Server is too much for them.  Currently has all work related files and one Access database on one workstation that is their "server".  The access database on this computer is the back-end, each computer has a front end locally.  They do have other .doc's, excel files, etc that they share.  They want a Server now, and I'm trying to look into Home Server for them. Some questions I have are:

I'm assuming that the Access database would work just fine, if a Home Server can stream media files, then it should have no problem, right?

I seem to recall a while back, that Home Server had some sort of file transfer problem, file transfer was very slow?  Has this been corrected with sp's?  I believe that the problem was when Home Server first came out?

I'm a little uncertain about getting an "applicance", such as HP X510, versus building my own computer and installing Home Server myself.  I maintained a HP Proliant ISA server for several years, and discovered that an "applicance" has its own issues. Such as, you have to restore machinge using factory disks, with no control over the process. Is there anything to consider if building my own?  No RAID, right?  So, should be pretty basic machine I would think?

Or, is simply using a dedicated workstation suffeceint (sp?) in this case?  No need of exchange or firewall capability of SBS.  I believe I read the HP cannot be used as a workstation at all, but could a home built computer running Home Server still have Office installed?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Steve

Monday, July 12, 2010 12:55 AM

All replies

• Hopefully its alright to ask general questions here.  If not, where would I post?

A small business has approx 5 employees. Will not grow, so Small business Server is too much for them.  Currently has all work related files and one Access database on one workstation that is their "server".  The access database on this computer is the back-end, each computer has a front end locally.  They do have other .doc's, excel files, etc that they share.  They want a Server now, and I'm trying to look into Home Server for them. Some questions I have are:

I'm assuming that the Access database would work just fine, if a Home Server can stream media files, then it should have no problem, right? 

As long as each user is using the front-end tool on their client PC (which then accesses the back-end db through the network), there should be no issues.  Note however that logging into the server desktop on WHS is unsupported.

I seem to recall a while back, that Home Server had some sort of file transfer problem, file transfer was very slow?  Has this been corrected with sp's?  I believe that the problem was when Home Server first came out?

No, the problem with WHS RTM was data corruption and was fixed with Power Pack 1.

I'm a little uncertain about getting an "applicance", such as HP X510, versus building my own computer and installing Home Server myself.  I maintained a HP Proliant ISA server for several years, and discovered that an "applicance" has its own issues. Such as, you have to restore machinge using factory disks, with no control over the process. 
    That is true on WHS whether you get a pre-built machine or not.  The only supported method to fix a WHS installation is Server Reinstallation (which, after you supply the drivers for all of the hard drives, it handles everything on its own).

Is there anything to consider if building my own?  No RAID, right? 

RAID is not supported on WHS.

So, should be pretty basic machine I would think?

Or, is simply using a dedicated workstation suffeceint (sp?) in this case?  No need of exchange or firewall capability of SBS.  I believe I read the HP cannot be used as a workstation at all, but could a home built computer running Home Server still have Office installed?

It's not supported (as that would require logging into the sever desktop).

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Steve

You should check the MS WHS site for details/technical briefs/etc.

Monday, July 12, 2010 4:12 AM