WHS system Restore RRS feed

• General discussion

• The ither day the HDD failed in my PC but I tought thats not a problem as I have numerous backups on my WHS. I have used WHS to recover files that have been lost/corrupted before with no problems but this is the first time I have attempted to restore a whole disk.

Inserted a new disk of the same size (400GB SATA) booted with the WHS restore CD and followed the instructions.

All appeared to go well I came back to my PC after about 65 mins and there was a black scree warning me that there was a rpoblem with the disk but if I run the Vista repair option all will be good. I then reboot with my Vista DVD in the drive select the country and language then choose to repair.

I am then asked if I wish to repair an reboot which I willingly do.

System reboots and Vista Ultimate loads to the login screen All looks great until I try to login...

First I get the messgare they the system is preparing my desktop and then it appears to stop screen goes blue (Not BSOD) and the mouse appears but icon or start bar. I press CTRL-ALT_DEL and run the task manager. I then start a new task "expolere" and the start bar appears. I am then told that I am using a tempory profile Blah Blah. All looks ok once again until I try to run anything...Nothing will start, Control panel is blank.

I can then log out and back in but the same problem Preparing desktop then blue screen

I noticed the system drive is appearing a D: now when it was backup and restored a C:

I have tried 5 of my 10 backups all with the same result (some of them twice)

I have finally given up and re installed the OS from scratch but my concern is that I now have no faith in my WHS backups.

Can anyone help me restore my faith!!!!

Allan

Thursday, October 8, 2009 7:18 PM

All replies

• One problem might be that you changed the disk (really it's the size that may be the problem). Although it can be used to upgrade disk sizes easily, it's not a recommended thing to do. I would also check the drives on the server for errors as well. They may be corrupted, causing this problem. What sort of network do you have (wired or wireless) between the server and the computer?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 11:21 PM
  • The ither day the HDD failed in my PC but I tought thats not a problem as I have numerous backups on my WHS. I have used WHS to recover files that have been lost/corrupted before with no problems but this is the first time I have attempted to restore a whole disk.

Inserted a new disk of the same size (400GB SATA) booted with the WHS restore CD and followed the instructions.

All appeared to go well I came back to my PC after about 65 mins and there was a black scree warning me that there was a rpoblem with the disk but if I run the Vista repair option all will be good. I then reboot with my Vista DVD in the drive select the country and language then choose to repair.

I am then asked if I wish to repair an reboot which I willingly do.

System reboots and Vista Ultimate loads to the login screen All looks great until I try to login...

First I get the messgare they the system is preparing my desktop and then it appears to stop screen goes blue (Not BSOD) and the mouse appears but icon or start bar. I press CTRL-ALT_DEL and run the task manager. I then start a new task "expolere" and the start bar appears. I am then told that I am using a tempory profile Blah Blah. All looks ok once again until I try to run anything...Nothing will start, Control panel is blank.

I can then log out and back in but the same problem Preparing desktop then blue screen

I noticed the system drive is appearing a D: now when it was backup and restored a C:

I have tried 5 of my 10 backups all with the same result (some of them twice)

I have finally given up and re installed the OS from scratch but my concern is that I now have no faith in my WHS backups.

Can anyone help me restore my faith!!!!

Allan

It works fine for me.  I would try to assist, but since you already reinstalled your client OS, it would be kind of pointless now.  :)  The only suggstion I can make now is if it happens again, come here and ask for help first and/or file a bug report on Connect.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 12:31 AM