Extremely impresed so far - HDR in next release? RRS feed

• Question

• So far I'm extremely impressed with ICE. I'm using it to generate 360 images to use for rendering 3D vehicles and other objects with Image Based Lighting in Maya. I've fought with Photoshop Photomerge for some time, and in general ICE does a lot better. Photomerge takes forever to work, occasionally crashes with a lot of images, doesn't make a seamless 360, and often severely distorts horizon lines. ICE is much faster and its results are usually very good. Luminance HDR has some nice features, but it has a horrible user interface and assumes too much prior knowledge to function for average users.

I'm curious if it's possible to set up ICE to handle HDRI images as well. I'd like to use ICE to put together 16 or 32 bit images from multiple exposure brackets.

Looking forward to the new release!

Darrell Leland

Monday, December 22, 2014 9:08 PM

Answers

• It's something we've thought about, but no, processing multiple exposures to produce HDR panoramas is not slated for the next release.  That said, you can combine multiple exposures in other HDR processing software, and then stitch the resulting 16- or 32-bit images in ICE.  Or you can stitch the original images of each exposure level into separate panoramas using ICE, then merge the panoramas in HDR processing software -- see this blog post: Creating an HDR Panorama using Microsoft ICE, or this tutorial on Flickr: 2008 MS ICE HDR Tutorial.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:18 PM