Replacing my system drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my wife bought me a 1tb drive for christmas ( ok, truth is i bought it myself ) but shes getting credit for it in the xmas gift category so she can tell the kids she bought me a new drive for the server. .................... any who.........

The Windows homer server had a 320gb drive and now has a 1tb drive. The case is a really small form factor and only has room for one disk drive. I have already replaced the drive and have the old drive in an external usb caddy. I do not want to use the old drive as part of my storage but I would like to migrate the files from the old drive to the new one. Is there a way i can accomplish this? Thanks in advance. 
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:35 PM

Answers

• There really isn't support for moving the system drive. The easiest way (and preferred) way is doing a Server reinstallation. Data is preserved but all WHS customizations will be lost.

Some have tried cloning the drive, but with WHS, I don't know if they had good results or if WHS still saw it as the older disk size.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:10 PM

All replies

• There really isn't support for moving the system drive. The easiest way (and preferred) way is doing a Server reinstallation. Data is preserved but all WHS customizations will be lost.

Some have tried cloning the drive, but with WHS, I don't know if they had good results or if WHS still saw it as the older disk size.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Greg,

Assuming from your post, that you have already set up your 'new' server, the files that exist in your 'old' shared folders can be copied across from the redundant drive to your new folders. However, you will need to ensure that you have 'Show all Files & Folders' enabled in Windows Explorer and then copy the files from your old drive under (x):/DE/(x).
    If, in the end, you decide to use this drive in an external caddy as part of the storage pool, if possible use eSATA in preference to USB as there have been quite a few problems reported with USB because of the power saving settings etc associated with it.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Hi Colin, Thanks for the reply, I have indeed setup the new server already and i've moved most of the stuff in the shared folders to the new drive, BUT is it possible to save the backups of machines that are on the old drive? I selected Reinstallation when i started the server from the install disk but didnt leave the USB Drive plugged in as I wasnt sure if I should leave the USB drive  ( replaced drive ) plugged in or not because i was afraid WHS setup would just assume it as additional storage and overwrite it. Thanks for the help and prompt reply.

Greg S.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:51 PM
  • The Home Computer Backup technical brief (available from this page, which also contains a lot of other useful documentation) includes instructions for backing up and restoring the backup database.

However, the backup database is essentially fungible; you can recreate it by simply backing each PC up again after joining it to your "new" server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:17 PM
  • I was hoping to save the backups I already had. my WHS backsup 5 PC's and 3 laptops.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Greg,

If you read the document Ken pointed to, it explains how to manually copy your backups. You could, in effect, copy these off the USB drive to your 'new' installation - it explains where these should be - but personally, if they are really important, why not copy them off to a DVD as, with having a one-disk server, you are likely to loose them all again, if you ever have a problem.

In the long run, a one disk server, really isn't a solution to data loss, you will need to consider moving to a more extensive system. For example, you now have no way of having Duplication in effect for your Shared Folders.

Note that when you add a drive to WHS, if you don't add it to the storage pool and choose the external storage option, (for saving copies of your Shared Folders), it will ask you if you want to retain any existing files on that drive.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Thank you ken, I followed the brief you suggested but i keep getting an error "file cannot be accessed by the system" when trying to copy from the old to the new, i added the old drive as additional storage for server backup. Thanks again for all the help.

Greg S.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:39 PM
  • Let me ask this............what happens if I select reinstall after booting from the WHS disk while i have the old drive plugged into the USB? Will WHS install and see that there are WHS files on the old drive and rebuild them on the new drive? or will it overwrite it and add it as storage? Thanks again.

Greg S.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:06 AM
  • Greg,

If the drive is attached as a secondary drive while doing a re-install - and it has an original WHS installation on it as well, it's likely that it will confuse the system completely!
    In general however, it won't recognise that drive as the system drive and won't recognise any of the files on it and certainly won't utilise them during the re-install.

In general, the drive is now superfluous to the actual WHS installation, and therefore can only be used for either extending the storage pool, or used for copying backups to.

Colin

Friday, December 12, 2008 11:03 AM