Media Sharing: How do I enable media sharing from my Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an xBox 360 connected to my home network, can I access the media files stored on my Windows Home Server from my Xbox 360?

Friday, February 9, 2007 7:39 PM

Answers

• Yes you can access the media files stored on Windows Home Server, here's how:

• If you click the little gear on the top right of the Windows Home Server Console, server settings will open.
    • Click the Shared Folders on the left, then in the media library sharing area on the right, click on what you would like to share to your xbox by selecting on.
    • The click the OK button.

Now the Xbox can access Windows Home Server and see the shared media through it's native user interface (UI).

Friday, February 9, 2007 8:27 PM

All replies

• Yes you can access the media files stored on Windows Home Server, here's how:

• If you click the little gear on the top right of the Windows Home Server Console, server settings will open.
    • Click the Shared Folders on the left, then in the media library sharing area on the right, click on what you would like to share to your xbox by selecting on.
    • The click the OK button.

Now the Xbox can access Windows Home Server and see the shared media through it's native user interface (UI).

Friday, February 9, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Joel,

This is something that I actually had an issue with and posted on the Connect site.  Since it seems several folks may have this issue, the WHS team may wan to look at on intial boot a prompt to the end user asking if they want to enable certain media charing features.

Thanks.

MikeB.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:46 PM
  • I found that enabling media library sharing wasnt enough - I also had to enable the 'Guest' account.

Is this correct?

Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:34 AM
  • I have done that, restarted, and the Xbox still does not find the Home Server, what am I missing? do i need to install the extender software onto the WHS box? will that screw things up?
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:26 AM