Data Recovery After HD Crash in Acer Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• In an Acer Aspire easyStore H340 home server, I have 3 HDs. One, of course, has the OS on it, plus PC backups. Of the other 2, one is designated for folder duplication; the 3rd is designated for server backup. Four PCs are backed up to the server nightly. A few days ago, the server emailed me to say that storage utilization has exceeded 85% for more than 3 minutes. It sent that same mssg about a dozen times over the next few minutes. Then the Acer HS became unresponsive. In my attempt to resolve the problem, I (gulp) opened up the door & physically removed the carriers holding the 2 non-OS drives. As I continued to fool around with them, I determined that the drive used for folder duplication was "healthy" according to WHS, but every time I reinserted the server backup drive, the whole thing became unresponsive again. So, it sounds like that drive has gone bad. I can live with losing the server backups, but I would consider it a disaster to lose the nightly PC backups that I've been storing for 9 months now.

I have since, but too late, read that if you remove a drive the way that I did, you will lose all data & it will be unrecoverable. I've also been getting messages that say that backup service is not running & that the backup database needs to be repaired. I read that the repair process will delete all PC backups. 

I need help determining what my next step should be. Options are: 1) Reset WHS by using the Server Reinstallation procedure (the instructions says that the files in shared folders & PC backups are saved); 2) recover the Acer using their Server Recovery DVD (the instructions say that data recovery will be attempted); 3) restore the Acer to its factory default. I don't care about user accounts, server settings or add-ins. I just need to know if there's any way that I can still save my backups. Two of the PCs backed up are used in my home accounting business! Thanks!!!

Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:44 PM

All replies

• First, plug the functional drive back in, then reboot your server. See what happens.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 10:32 PM
  • THANK YOU for replying! After I replug the functional drive & reboot the server, none of the drive lights on the front panel come on. When I try to open the WHS Console, I get a mssg saying that "this computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection & make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

At this point, if I pull the non-OS drive & reboot the server, the drive light comes on & I can successfully open the WHS Console. Server storage shows the 2nd (non-OS) drive as missing. If I plug it back in, then it registers, the drive light comes on & I get the pie chart of my storage, saying both drives are healthy. The 3rd drive, the server backup, the one I suspect is the root of the problem, doesn't appear, as missing or otherwise (I can live w/o this drive.) I do not see any backups. I still get the prompts saying that backup service is not running, & that the backup database needs to be repaired.

Btw, we have had a lot of thunder & lightning over the last couple of weeks. The server runs through a surge protector rated for over 3000 joules, & none of my other equipment is affected. Do you see any options othe than those I came up with? This is my first server, & I've only been at it for less than a year. Thanks!

Monday, August 16, 2010 3:07 AM
  • THANK YOU for replying! After I replug the functional drive & reboot the server, none of the drive lights on the front panel come on. When I try to open the WHS Console, I get a mssg saying that "this computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection & make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

At this point, if I pull the non-OS drive & reboot the server, the drive light comes on & I can successfully open the WHS Console. Server storage shows the 2nd (non-OS) drive as missing. If I plug it back in, then it registers, the drive light comes on & I get the pie chart of my storage, saying both drives are healthy. The 3rd drive, the server backup, the one I suspect is the root of the problem, doesn't appear, as missing or otherwise (I can live w/o this drive.) I do not see any backups. I still get the prompts saying that backup service is not running, & that the backup database needs to be repaired.

Btw, we have had a lot of thunder & lightning over the last couple of weeks. The server runs through a surge protector rated for over 3000 joules, & none of my other equipment is affected. Do you see any options othe than those I came up with? This is my first server, & I've only been at it for less than a year. Thanks!

Since you think your backup drive is causing the problem, have you tried disconnecting it, then rebooting the server?
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:42 AM

This sounds like the second drive is failing, and the backup drive has failed. Please run chkdsk /r on all your server drives. If any errors or warnings are reported, note them and get back to us.

Monday, August 16, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Yes. My 2nd paragraph, beginning with "At this point..." describes what happened. Thanks.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 1:53 PM
  • Pls forgive my ignorance, but how do I do this on a machine that has no keyboard or monitor? Thanks.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 1:54 PM
  • You can remove drives from your server and check them on another computer, or you can use Remote Desktop.

For the former, shut your server down and remove/connect/check/reinstall drives one by one, including the system drive.

For the latter, log in to your server using the user Administrator, and the console password. Note that using Remote Desktop is technically unsupported, as is any use of the server desktop by end users. Thus the warning that should display when you log in. :) But chkdsk is reasonably safe; it won't cause problems, only reveal (and with the /r parameter attept to fix) problems that already exist.

Monday, August 16, 2010 3:53 PM
  • As a courtesy, I should let you know that I won't be able to pick up a SATA cable to use to connect the server drives to a PC until tomorrow. So it will likely be afternoon (CST) before I have results to report. Thanks again!
    Monday, August 16, 2010 10:44 PM
  • How do I get to a command prompt (to run chkdsk) on the server? All I ever see is the Console. Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:06 AM
  • How do I get to a command prompt (to run chkdsk) on the server? All I ever see is the Console. Thanks.
    As Ken said, you need to use Remote Desktop.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:27 AM