New WHS build seems very SLOW - How to test? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a server newb.  Just built a WHS server and it seems to be running well, except slow.  I'm still at the loading all my old data stage (and at this pace, will be for weeks.  The first 1Tb drive I loaded took over 24 hours.  Then, as a test I started a 400 GB move, while trying to access files from the server.  Couldn't do it - so slow that low bandwidth video could not play smooth.  I've read a few tips (like turning off folder duplication, etc. during the mass importation), but I think I have a network throughput problem with the server.  I've been using another desktop as a makeshift server for years (8-10 external usb drives) and have never seen this slow of performance.  Can anybody point me to some utilities or controls in WHS to help me figure out whether it is performing as it should?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:47 PM

All replies

• What motherboard do you use? I've seen a similar problem on a board with an AMD 600 chipset. The problem was that the drives where configured for AHCI mode in bios but the driver was not loaded. Please go into bios and check the setting for your drives. Should you see AHCI change this back to IDE.

If this doesn't help please provide more information about your hardware.

Martin
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Thanks.  I'll check that tonight.  It's an VIA AMD Mobo, I think, but I forget which one.  What I can tell you is that I'm running (so far) a 1 TB internal SATA drive and two 1.5 TB Seagate external USB drives.  I did have some other driver issues during the build, so this wouldn't shock me.    Any suggestions as to how, where to pull real performance metrics so that I can cease paranoia (hopefully) at some point?
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:31 PM
  • When you copy a big file (500MB or larger) over the network with GB adapters, you should see 20-30 MB/s, on a fast client/server up to 60 MB/s.

Martin
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:52 PM
  • I played with it last night.  BIOS was set for IDE, not AHCI.  When I did some actual speed tests, I ended up with 10MB/s or so.  Not horrible (While this NIC is GBit, I haven't upgraded all the networking pieces yet).  I also checked other transfers on the network and found that 10MB seemed pretty standard, so there didn't appear to be a networking bottleneck at the WHS Server.

However, still can't play a video file off this thing without it being very choppy (non-streamed - just file access).  When I do access a video file from WHS, the networking is only running at a low % of capacity, as you would expect.  Same file, played from another network location (including old usb externals halfway across the house) play just fine, just not from the WHS.  So, while I can transfer it at 10MB/s, it can't play smooth at a transfer/access rate far below that.  Obviously that won't work.  Any suggestions on where to go from here? 

It's a Gigabyte Mobo MA74GM-S2, an Athlon 74 1740 processor, 4 GB of OCZ ram and two pci usb port cards installed.  That's pretty much it.  Any thoughts to aid in troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 1:17 PM
  • have you installed the chipset drivers for AMD SB700?
    What other hardware is used (disk drives)?
    And what additional software/Add-Ins are installed?

Martin
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 1:34 PM
  • I may not have tried to update the mobo drivers - I was generally trying to avoid messing with the drivers because of all the dire warnings re messing with the WHS at the system level.  I'll take a look at that.  The drives are one internal SATA 1TB and 2 1.5 TB USB externals.  I haven't installed any add-ins yet.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:24 PM
  • FYI,

I think my problem was (yet another) 1.5TB Seagate that was experiencing delayed write MFT errors.  This is my fourth (out of two purchases) failure.  These drives are POS.

Any thoughts as to why WHS was indicating this drive as healthy?  It was reporting back "file conflicts" that were clearly the result of the MFT problems, but didn't think the drive itself was bad.  Also, I was unable to successfully remove the drive and restore the data, even though duplication was on.  It wasn't a huge problem because I was running the server as a test,.  But, so far I'm unimpressed with how WHS handled a drive failure.  Any thoughts?

Jay
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:20 PM