WHS 2011 and the New Surface 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Tried searching the forums for what I was looking for but did not find it, so if this duplicate my apologies. Just bought a new Surface 3, installed the hotfixes for WHS 2011 and connected the Surface, no problems. Surface backed up and things are fine and in a sense I REALLY don't have a problem, it's more like an annoyance. After my wife stops using the Surface and it has been idle on the WHS 2011 dashboard I get "Surface one or more services are not running." If I go to the Surface and press "Try to fix this issue" using the alerts viewer, the alert goes away but shows up again after a while. So, I don't know if this a post for WHS 2011 or the Surface forum but I don't want to start duplicate posts all over the place asking the same question. So, I'll start here and hopefully will get some ideas or pointed in the right direction. Thanks.
    Sunday, May 17, 2015 12:26 PM

Answers

• Never did figured this out, but when I updated Surface 3 to Windows 10 the issue has stopped and have not received any more notices about "services are not running." This can be closed.
    • Edited by gonzo0235 Sunday, August 16, 2015 2:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by gonzo0235 Wednesday, November 22, 2017 10:53 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that error "Surface one or more services are not running" is prompted on the WHS 2011 dashboard once the Surface 3 is not used. “Try to fix this issue" in the alerts viewer, but this error will be prompted again.

I want to confirm with you the OS version of your Surface 3. Is that Windows 8.1, or has been updated?

Make sure that your WHS 2011 has been installed the latest Windows Update. Besides, confirm that if this blog below is applied to your problem:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6828.server-backup-service-exception.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 5:48 AM
  • Thank you for your response and yes the New Surface 3 does come with Windows 8.1 and yes I applied all updates to the tablet and the server including the hotfix kb2781272. The blog that you link to does not appear to apply to me, when I check the mentioned logs I cannot find the errors in the logs. It appears that the blog error refers to the server itself and my error appears to be generated by the lack of activity on the Surface (wife walks away from it for an hour or so). I have not had time to spend to see if the error is generated whenever the surface goes into sleep mode, which may be a possibility. Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:17 PM
  • Never did figured this out, but when I updated Surface 3 to Windows 10 the issue has stopped and have not received any more notices about "services are not running." This can be closed.
    • Edited by gonzo0235 Sunday, August 16, 2015 2:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by gonzo0235 Wednesday, November 22, 2017 10:53 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to update the result. Your detail sharing might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 1:42 AM