Strange Remote Access behavior RRS feed

• Question

•  

Using both RC and beta versions of WHS through my Linksys WRT54G router, Remote Access configured the router using UPnP and everything worked.

This weekend, I upgraded (not a clean install since I wanted to save the backups) to a purchased copy of WHS and suddenly remote access is broken. The error message says that either UPnP is off (which it isn't) or WHS can't configure my router. I have since turned off UPnP and manually forwarded ports 80, 443 and 4125. Next time I travel, I'll check out the access.

But why would the production copy of WHS break something that worked perfectly in beta and RC???

(And yes, my garden variety WRT54G is running the latest firmware, 1.02.2) 

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:27 AM

Answers

• Blame your router. Many routers claim full UPnP capability while delivering, umm, less, and Windows Home Server can't make use of functionality that's not there. You should look for instructions on manually forwarding ports on your router at PortForward.com. While you won't find instructions specifically for Windows Home Server, the only difference from any of the other forwarding guides for your router will be the ports tht need to be forwarded. Those are 80, 443, and 4125.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:36 PM

All replies

• Sounds like an anomaly, 'cause I also upgraded and didn't have a problem with remote access...of course, I use a manually loaded IP.  Is yours manually loaded, or DHCP?  Check that, since your router may not be able to find the port you're forwarding outside traffic to.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Yes, if your router is setup for DHCP, your server probably got assigned a different IP address.  You should give it a fixed IP within the range for your home network.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 6:35 PM
  •  Technogeez wrote:

Is yours manually loaded, or DHCP?

My IP address from Comcast is DHCP assigned, but I checked it pre- and post-installation, and it is unchanged. DHCP is not the cause here.

I did manually:

a) disable UPnP

b) forward ports 80, 443 and 4125

and I could get remote access to work. Matter of fact, it's worked fine for the last 3-4 days. But I really need UPnP to work so this morning, I re-enabled UPnP and bingo, remote access stopped working! Argh!

As I said before WHS is reporting that "The UPnP setting on your router is not enabled ..." which is not correct. The router is now properly configured for UPnP.

And this is the exact same computer, router, IP address that was working prior to the overlay WHS installation. If there were a way to uninstall and return to beta code, I would try that. Is there a way to uninstall the production software? I don't want to do a clean install because it will erase my backups.

Friday, November 2, 2007 7:55 PM
  •  mwalters wrote:
    your server probably got assigned a different IP address.

Nope, the IP address is unchanged. It is the same IP running production WHS that was running beta WHS last week.

Same computer, same router, same IP address - Only thing that changed was that I overlayed WHS production over my WHS beta copy ... And somehow that a) disabled Remote Access, and b) created an incorrect warning that UPnP wasn't turned on.

I want to exhaust all my options before doing a complete reinstall that erases my backups ...

Friday, November 2, 2007 7:58 PM
  • I just bought a brand new HP MediaSmart server with Windows Home Server installed and I am having the same trouble.  UPnP is without a doubt enabled on my router (D-Link WBR-1310 with latest firmware) and I am being told by WHS that UPnP is not enabled.  Very frustrating for a machine which is supposed to be marketed towards the non-technical user.  This is a completely common run-of-the-mill router (which I even got at a big box retailer). 

Come on Microsoft, what's the deal?
    There is no such thing as an unimportant day
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:26 PM
  • Blame your router. Many routers claim full UPnP capability while delivering, umm, less, and Windows Home Server can't make use of functionality that's not there. You should look for instructions on manually forwarding ports on your router at PortForward.com. While you won't find instructions specifically for Windows Home Server, the only difference from any of the other forwarding guides for your router will be the ports tht need to be forwarded. Those are 80, 443, and 4125.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:36 PM