none
steps after certification RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I completed my certification in Sharepoint 2010( 70-573) in Nov 2012.

But I still feel very shaky in the subject.

1)Therefore I want to know if there is any resource which teaches how to develop entire Sp 2010 web application including architecture.The resources may be videos, books, blogs etc.

2)Does MS or its partners provide any on the job help in this technology?

3) How can I get to know the other certified people within a country like India?

4) Is there any special resource available from MS especially for certified guys like me?

Thanks for your response.

Today's knowledge is too little for tomorrow's job

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

• Put in this way, let's put in some real-life experience that I have.

Q: What's the purpose of you doing the development in SharePoint?

If you do it for living, then all the more you will be keen to explore how to do it. There are many life example of development. Microsoft can only teach you how to develop web-parts, how to do certain things in the practice of their eyes. However, is their best practices always fits everybody? If you are an Architect for a development project, you should take the lead to know from head to toe what is needed and what is best in the interests of your clients.

Q: Where to get the help during the cause of development or meddling with Microsoft Technologies?

The best would still be TechNet / MSDN forum, whichever you prefer. This community is huge enough that you will find many friends community members helping you with any help you need at their leisure time. However, if you meet into serious problem with product issues, there is always Microsoft Premium Support where there are always there for you, at a cost. (We usually engage Microsoft Premium Support when our engineers can't handle specified special case and thus wanting the help from Microsoft Team itself.)

My 2 cents worth of comments will be, start by doing small. Start coding small web-parts and publish it into your own lab/farm. If you do not have any lab servers, try in the avenue of Office 365 where you can do coding of web-parts and publish into SharePoint Online.

Once you get the kick of it and meet into enough problem, reach out to this community and seek assistance. 

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh
    MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Blog: blog.nerdytwo.com
    Twitter: @miltongoh

• Marked as answer by sunny74 Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:26 PM

All replies

• In what way do you feel shaky in this subject? In term of the domain knowledge or the experience in developing for SharePoint? How did you achieve this certification? If you did it through self-study, why not consider signing up for a course where you get hands-on experience in dedicated lab during the class? In such way, you will learn more and get assistance directly from the trainer in class.

1) There are a lot of videos available online and subscription based services available for you to learn. 

2) TechNet is good place for you if you meet into any problem during the course of development, reach out to the community is one of the fastest way! 

3) Is there any SharePoint User Group in India? Try that avenue...

4) Microsoft has publish lots of materials online, search for it online. 

Regards,
    Milton Goh

Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:25 AM
  • Hi Milton,

How I achieved my certification? I did self study with the following materials:

a) Inside SharePoint2010 by Ted Pattison

b) Prof Sharepoint 2010 Development by Rizzo,Tom(wrox press)

c) Following MSDN articles suggested by becky bertram blog and one more blog.

d)Purchased Practise tests by measureup.com.

e) Practice question available freely  from non MS recommended sites as suggested by forum guys.

My shakiness is mainly related to the technical knowledge in SP2010 apart from domain knowledge.I didn't have any prior knowledge in SP2010 and very less in Sp 2007(dates back to 2009).

"If you did it through self-study, why not consider signing up for a course where you get hands-on experience in dedicated lab during the class?"

Which course are you referring to?

My shakiness is with respect to the following:

1) There is no guide, tutorial(MSDN or otherwise) which shows how to develop a real life application from scratch to finish.

2) There is not much info as to the customizations of components for eg webparts. Most of the webpart classes are sealed which means that it is not possible to inherit and extend them.What if I require functionality similar to that of a sealed class? Do I need to write the entire code again?

3)Due to lack of experience I am likely to get stuck while doing development coding? What would you suggest as best place for getting professional support, Technet or MSDN?Technet is providing 2 complimentary support calls with online chat assistance.Not sure about kind of support provided by MSDN!

Thanks for your reply.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Hi,

The course that is widely available by most certified training centre. Example,-

Course 10232A (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/course.aspx?id=10232a)

Course 10175A (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/course.aspx?id=10175a)

As for any questions with regards into in-depth SharePoint, please visit http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopmentprevious and post your questions there. The folks there will be more than glad to help you.

The community is the best place and search engine like Bing is the best place for you, there are many codes that are shared on Codeplex thus you should not have any issues. Just need to explore a little more. :)

Regards,
    Milton Goh

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

There is an online version of these courses, its called Clinic.Are the clinic equally good as the courses bec' I don't have the time to spend full days in classroom training.

Secondly it does not solve problems in questions 1 & 3.

Regards.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Put in this way, let's put in some real-life experience that I have.

Q: What's the purpose of you doing the development in SharePoint?

If you do it for living, then all the more you will be keen to explore how to do it. There are many life example of development. Microsoft can only teach you how to develop web-parts, how to do certain things in the practice of their eyes. However, is their best practices always fits everybody? If you are an Architect for a development project, you should take the lead to know from head to toe what is needed and what is best in the interests of your clients.

Q: Where to get the help during the cause of development or meddling with Microsoft Technologies?

The best would still be TechNet / MSDN forum, whichever you prefer. This community is huge enough that you will find many friends community members helping you with any help you need at their leisure time. However, if you meet into serious problem with product issues, there is always Microsoft Premium Support where there are always there for you, at a cost. (We usually engage Microsoft Premium Support when our engineers can't handle specified special case and thus wanting the help from Microsoft Team itself.)

My 2 cents worth of comments will be, start by doing small. Start coding small web-parts and publish it into your own lab/farm. If you do not have any lab servers, try in the avenue of Office 365 where you can do coding of web-parts and publish into SharePoint Online.

Once you get the kick of it and meet into enough problem, reach out to this community and seek assistance. 

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh

• Marked as answer by sunny74 Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:26 PM