tamil language support RRS feed

• Question

• i'm interested to buy a windows phone, presently i'm having android devices which support tamil languages through google input tools & other apps. Hence, before buying windows, i want to confirm does it support tamil (able to view and edit word and excel in tamil language)
    Friday, July 25, 2014 5:06 PM

Answers

• Please post questions about using Windows Phone on the Windows Phone forums on http://answers.microsoft.com . The Developing for Windows Phone forum is for developers to discuss writing their own Windows Phone apps.

That said, take a look at the Going global: Language support in Windows Phone 8 blog entry. I believe there is additional language support in Windows Phone 8.1, but I don't know the details. The folks on answers should be able to help with additions for Windows Phone 8.1

--Rob

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Monday, July 28, 2014 8:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Sunday, August 3, 2014 3:48 PM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 5:29 PM

All replies

• Please post questions about using Windows Phone on the Windows Phone forums on http://answers.microsoft.com . The Developing for Windows Phone forum is for developers to discuss writing their own Windows Phone apps.

That said, take a look at the Going global: Language support in Windows Phone 8 blog entry. I believe there is additional language support in Windows Phone 8.1, but I don't know the details. The folks on answers should be able to help with additions for Windows Phone 8.1

--Rob

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Monday, July 28, 2014 8:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Sunday, August 3, 2014 3:48 PM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 5:29 PM
  • WP 8 runs on Windows NT Kernel. It supports all languages in the world by default (Full Unicode support unlike Android). But there are only few languages in in-built keyboards. You can install Tamil Keyboard separately from the WP Store. By default all language supports is only in WP and other phones at the moment. Tamil font rendering will be very cool in WP compared to Android. I'm using Lumia 620 and Smasung Tab 2, 520 my mom, 525 my wife. The font rendering engine in WP is the best compared to any Phone OSes in the market; it beats even the expensive Apple phones.
    Friday, August 8, 2014 9:45 PM