FEAR - system drive needs to be replaced! RRS feed

• Question

•  I am today receiving the "out of space" message on my system drive as I foolishly installed a small drive for this use.  So - I need to install a larger system drive but have 2 important questions:

1.  Does someone have step-by-step instructions for this process since my life/memories/etc. are on this server and I cannot afford to lose one file!

2.  With the current corruption bug, though I have seen no problems so far, is it safe to perform this upgrade now or should I wait till the bug is fixed due to my fear/need for data integrity???

Thanks greatly

Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

• I figured it was a forum problem - happens every now and again!

Backup of the data is certainly the way to go, its a pain, but you then have another copy of your data. For me, thats worth the pain :-)

Andrew

Saturday, January 19, 2008 5:17 PM

All replies

• Im not sure if you are having problems with the forum but you posted your question 6 or 7 times!

To answer your questions:

1 - the easiest, and safest thing to do would be to backup all of your data onto a seperate drive, swap the system drive out for a larger one, reinstall and then copy your data back. That way, if you experience any problems along the way your data is safe.

2 - that will depend on whether you feel you might be effected by the bug. If you dont use any of those applications, or you follow the advice on the KB article and dont open and update those files on the WHS you should be ok.

Andrew

Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Sorry for the dups.  Immediately upon submitting even the first message to the forum MS sent back " The post you requested cannot be found or no longer exists. The administrator or moderator may have deleted the post" and it took over 30 minutes to see the post.  Assuming failure I kept trying.  With your help I think I've deleted all of the dups.

Great idea, the backup would solve my concerns.  Didn't reflexively think of it due there being over a TB of data but that way the KB won't come into play either.  Thanks Andrew.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 5:13 PM
  • I figured it was a forum problem - happens every now and again!

Backup of the data is certainly the way to go, its a pain, but you then have another copy of your data. For me, thats worth the pain :-)

Andrew

Saturday, January 19, 2008 5:17 PM