corruption, invalid file handles, getting fed up RRS feed

• Question

• I built a WHS box a few weeks ago. It appeared to be OK until a few days ago when the PC backups stopped working. I couldn't access any of the functionality in the console and it said the backup service wasn't running. It looked like a corrupt backup database so I tried to repair it but it repeatedly failed citing insufficient RAM. I gave up and deleted the whole backups folder, rebooted and ran a repair. Subsequent backups seemed to go OK.

Today I tried to do my first backup of WHS to an external USB drive and it found dozens of bad files with 'invalid file handles'. 

Throughout all this, the system is telling me the drives are fine. SMART says everything is OK.

I'm now really concerned about trusting it with anything.

I'm wondering, in the case of the invalid file handles, as all these folders were duplicated, is there anyway to get the files back from the duplicates? Otherwise, they seem to be lost which is just crazy.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    if you cant access the files, this means the tombstones are broken. Usually this should also manifest with a missing or broken disk in the console. If you remove the disk, the tombstones will be fixed.
    How did you perform the backup to external drive? Via console, or with a script copying from somewhere? If the later, from where exactly? (Copying directly from the disks is not supported, since d:\shares on the server only contains tombstones.)
    Please check also the event log of the server for related error messages.
    Is your home server up to date with all patches? If not, you should apply those first.
    If removing the disk fails, you may have to go the hard way of recovery, as described in this FAQ.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:37 PM
  •  
    Olaf Engelke said:

Usually this should also manifest with a missing or broken disk in the console.

How did you perform the backup to external drive?

Please check also the event log of the server for related error messages.

Is your home server up to date with all patches? If not, you should apply those first.

If removing the disk fails, you may have to go the hard way of recovery, as described in this FAQ.

Hi Olaf,

All the disks arepresent and good according to the console (2 x 500GbSATA and 2 x 160GB IDE).

Backup was done by adding the external USB drive (not to the pool) and using the backup WHS function in the console.

No obvious errors in the console apart the repair failure due to lack of RAM (there's 512Mb)

The system is fully up to date patch wise and has no extra software installed apart from a SMART monitor.

I'll check the FAQ and see if that helps, thanks.

Friday, February 20, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Hi,
    with checking the event log I mean, log in to your server locally or via Remote Desktop using user name Administrator and the console password and go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer, since this helps to discover often problems, which are hidden for the console.
    Olaf
    Friday, February 20, 2009 11:16 AM
  • You don't tell us anything about your server, but it's possible that you have a hardware issue of some sort. (Bad memory, memory controller, drive controller, etc.) 512 MB should be perfectly adequate for a backup database cleanup or repair.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 20, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    with checking the event log I mean, log in to your server locally or via Remote Desktop using user name Administrator and the console password and go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer, since this helps to discover often problems, which are hidden for the console.
    Olaf

I only look at the logs on the WHS box itself by logging in to it. The WHS box is on a KVM switch so easily accessed. Everything looks OK except the out of RAM error when trying a db repair.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:58 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

You don't tell us anything about your server, but it's possible that you have a hardware issue of some sort. (Bad memory, memory controller, drive controller, etc.) 512 MB should be perfectly adequate for a backup database cleanup or repair.

It all looks OK. A I said, the logs all seem OK. WHS gives all 4 drives a green light. The only real error was the out of memory doing the database repair which may just be it's really mushed and throwing things. I've now deleted all the files that were throwing errors and those left seem OK - at least they now backup to the USB drive without error but I'm very concerned that some files went bad to begin with.
    I might try and run a RAM test to check that overnight.
    The rest of the hardware ought to be OK - it ran as a normal PC for a couple of years without anything odd happening. All that's changed as the addition of a SATA (VIA based) controller card and the 2 SATA drives.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:04 PM