Installing Optional Windows XP Components are stemied. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install optional Windows components via my Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade setup disc and I get  persistant error messages covering multiple DLL files that are not found and that I should insert the SP-2 Disc, (and after purchasing the SP-2 disc from the Windows Marketplace and re-installing SP-2), I'd get the same error message instructing me to insert the SP-2 disc to retrieve the files needed to install the Optional Windows components, which I did and without satisfactory results.

I downloaded the SP-3 fix and tried to then install the Optionalk Windows components, only to revieve a new error message instructing me to insert the SP-3 Disc and retrieve the files from that location.

The only common denominator in all of these problematic attempts to install Optional Windows components from my Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade Setup Disc is my Windows Live One Care. Prior to installation of my Windows Live One Care PAID subscription, I could flawlessly install Optional Window Components from my XP Upgrade Disc.

What is causing Window Live One Care to interfer with my use of my compatible Windows XP product that should have precedence over it?

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:12 PM

Answers

• One care should not be causing this issue. To verify, open One Care>Change Settings>Antivirus and Spyware, select off. Try to install the Windows components. Which optional components are you trying to install?

Sunday, May 11, 2008 7:18 PM

All replies

• One care should not be causing this issue. To verify, open One Care>Change Settings>Antivirus and Spyware, select off. Try to install the Windows components. Which optional components are you trying to install?

Sunday, May 11, 2008 7:18 PM
  •  

I am attempting to install the following Optional Components: Indexing Service,  Fax Services, Management and Monitoring Tools, and misc. Networking Services.

In becoming more familiar with One Care this morning, I came to realise that I could verify if One Care was contributing to my problem were I to turn off both the Firewall and the Ani-spyware/virus settings; which I will do once I disconnect from the Internet, but I wanted to first visit here and see what suggestions had been made.

I was successfull in uninstalling the games loaded via the Optional Accessories and Utilities and will try reinstalling them first while One Care is still turned- on and see what happens then, whether or not I can re-install them.

Thank you..I will keep ya'll posted.

Monday, May 12, 2008 3:18 PM
  • I moved your thread to the General folder and out of Off Topic, where you posted, since you are a OneCare user. However, I agree with Jim that this isn't a OneCare issue.

I suspect that your Windows installation was originally pre SP2 and has been updated to SP2 via Windows Update. For that reason, the original installation media and the PC are out if sync with each other. I also suspect that you have a disc that contains only the SP2 files and not a full SP2 version of Windows XP Home. I recommend following up on this in the Windows XP newsgroups for further help, assuming that turning off OneCare does not resolve the problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 5:28 PM