How to Protect Confidential Information in MS Money? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a user of MS Money Plus Delux and I need to send my PC off to HP for a warranty repair. 

Nothing against HP, but I want to make sure that no one can obtain any personal information from my machine.  To protect my information I plan on encrypting everything in the folder in My Documents where MS Money stores mbf and mny files, everything else in My Documents, and probably some other things I haven't figured out yet.  I already backup this stuff, so I'll have backups if something goes wrong. 

My question is, is that all I need to do to protect information stored in MS Money?  Are there files somewhere else, or registry entries that I need to be concerned with?

Thanks,

Mike Albert

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:18 AM

All replies

• In IE8, delete temporary files. Empty your "Recycle Bin".

I would put what you intend to encrypt in its encrypted space. Then search your computer for any *.mny *.mbf *rs.txt *rq.txt *.ofx files. I like agent ransack for such searches. You could also use a command window and do commands such as this:

dir \*.mny /s

Because all of your known files are encrypted, the search will only find files that you did not know about... except for sample.mny. That one should be found in the Money install found. These searches will take a lot of time.

Also, if your complaint does not involve the hard drive, maybe the repair depot will do the repair and test with their own hard drive, and let you keep yours.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:52 AM
  • If you don't plan on running some kind of free space disk wipe utility, there are likely "unused" sectors with your data still in them. If this is really a problem to you, best not to send the machine in unless you want to take the hard disk out as Cal suggests. If you aren't familiar with how to do that in ways that risk the hardware as little as possible, you are back to square 1. Sad to say, but there it is.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:27 AM
  • Dick & Cal,

Thanks for the help. 

After further consideration of this & other associated problems I've decided to fix it myself.  The problem is a broken CPU heat sink that's dangling loose.  It will cost me $50 to buy the part, not long to install, and I won't have to do without my PC for a week or more & do everything that you told me about to secure my information. 

Regards,

Mike

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:11 PM