Tracking emails in Outlook201 in MS Dynamics CRM2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have a question regarding email tracking in CRM2011. While the users are able to track incoming email messages from their personal mailbox into CRM, they cannot do the same for incoming email in outlook that are sent to a common (group) email account where all the incoming email should come from external customers. For example, they have access to a common inbox called ABC.CustomerService@abc.com in their outlook client but are unable to track the messages in this mailbox into CRM unless they move the email to their outlook persoanl mailbox, otherwise received the following error message "Onlt items in the default Microsoft Outlook store can be promoted to Microsoft CRM".

The current installation does not have CRM email router installed, is it needed for tracking the email from the common group mailbox or there is something elese that can be done?

Thank you for youir help.

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Users can only track items on the default Mailbox store. Items outside their own mailbox cannot be tracked.

I think what you need is a forward mailbox solution.

Regards

Nuno

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:35 PM
  • This link might also be useful:

http://www.harris-tech.com/blogs/bid/69745/Using-MS-CRM-with-Multiple-Email-Accounts

(basically, it's the same "forward mailbox" idea, just implemented with Outlook rules)

Alex Shlega, GotchaHunter.Net

• Marked as answer by HS2010 Monday, April 16, 2012 8:27 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 8:07 PM
  • This link might also be useful:

http://www.harris-tech.com/blogs/bid/69745/Using-MS-CRM-with-Multiple-Email-Accounts

(basically, it's the same "forward mailbox" idea, just implemented with Outlook rules)

Alex Shlega, GotchaHunter.Net

Thank you Alex for the useful link, I guess this answers my question. The other option I guess is to install CRM e-mail router.

Thank again.

• Proposed as answer by asymonds Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:17 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by asymonds Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:17 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

We had a similar requirement and issue, which I was able to get working in our environment today (I have only tried this with 1 additional mailbox, may or may not work with 2+)

Our Environment : CRM 2011 RU8; Office 2010; Exchange 2010; Win 7

Steps :

1) Remove all additional mailboxes from Outlook, leaving just the individuals
    2) Go to Control Panel -> Mail -> Show Profiles -> Select the required Profile, click properties -> E-mail Accounts... -> Create a New account (Add the Additional mailbox according to your settings)
    3) Back on the account settings screen, choose the Data Files tab -> Highlight the new account you just setup -> click 'Set as Default'
    4) Open Outlook (Will take some time, as it is creating a new local data file)
    5) Once open, select any email -> Click 'Track'
    6) You can now go to your Outlook Account settings, and set the personal account as the default
    7) You should now be able to track emails in both inboxes

Hope that is understandable, and of some assistance.

Cheers,

Adam

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Hi Adam,

your solution worked a treat! I have a scenario where the members of our support team monitor a mailbox and also have their own personal email box. I didn't want to have to mess around with creating Outlook rules to solve this problem and your solution works very well. We are using CRM 2011 RU7; Office 2010; Exchange 2010 and Windows 7.

Cheers

Alistair

Friday, July 20, 2012 5:47 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Just a quick question on the above. I managed to complete the steps succesfully as per Adam's email using a personal mailbox and a general mailbox but is it the case that one of the mailboxes will track emails of CRM contact records (my crm tracking settings) automatically and for the other mailbox I will keep having to click on the track button for every email i wish to track automatically???

This seems to be the case with my mailboxes, however i can confirm that i need to click on the track button beside an email for my personal mailbox.

I would appreciate any comment on this.

Regards

Dave

Friday, August 24, 2012 9:03 AM