Running Microsoft CRM 3.0 parallel with CRM 4.0 using the same domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to figure out the best way to upgrade from Microsoft CRM 3, to v4.0.
    I want to install 4.0 on a separate server with the proper system requirments, but can i do this using the same domain that 3 is running? 

After that, is it possible to run v3.0 (production) and v4.0  (as a Test environment) parallel, on separate servers, then once 4 is ready, do the upgrade?

Thanks,
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have separate machines and can have separate databases, then there is no problem with running both systems in one domain. You just have to create two separate Organization Units, so that the groups used by CRM 4.0 do not interfere with the ones used by 3.0. Install your CRM 4.0 on the machine dedicated to it and select or create a new database to use. Then use your 4.0 until it is ready and then upgrade.
    Remember that in order to upgrade the system from 3.04 to 4.0 the best way will be to run the setup of CRM 4.0 on the machine with CRM 3.0 and follow the instructions from the Implementation Guide. You do not have to have a separate 4.0 environment to do the upgrade.

I hope that helps,
    Kuba
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:16 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have separate machines and can have separate databases, then there is no problem with running both systems in one domain. You just have to create two separate Organization Units, so that the groups used by CRM 4.0 do not interfere with the ones used by 3.0. Install your CRM 4.0 on the machine dedicated to it and select or create a new database to use. Then use your 4.0 until it is ready and then upgrade.
    Remember that in order to upgrade the system from 3.04 to 4.0 the best way will be to run the setup of CRM 4.0 on the machine with CRM 3.0 and follow the instructions from the Implementation Guide. You do not have to have a separate 4.0 environment to do the upgrade.

I hope that helps,
    Kuba
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:16 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Thank you Kuba.

the only reason why i was going to set up another server was because v3.0 is on a SBS , and i want to do an upgrade to the server.

in that case, i would have to copy 3.0 , install it on the same server as my 4.0 environment and run the upgrade there, correct?

mike

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Hi Mike,

You are right. If you want to migrate not only your data, but also your customizations present in CRM 3.0, the best way is to redeploy the CRM 3.0 environment to the new machine first and then run the setup o CRM 4.0 to upgrade the system. But if you go with that scenario, I would recommend removing the plain CRM 4.0 environment existing on the new machine. I don't know whether I understood your last post correctly, but the question is what for do you want to have a plain installation of CRM 4.0 on the new machine first? If you just want to move the environment to the new hardware and upgrade it, follow the step that I described. Do not install the plain CRM 4.0 first...

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Kuba
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:57 PM