New ISP Procedures RRS feed

• Question

• We have become a Beta test site for Google Fiber (Good News) but my remote connection seems to have stopped... am out of town and testing server.  In other words, I do not see XXXXXX.homeserver.com.  I retained the same router (Netgear N/Gigahertz) but obviously have a new modem and IPS infrastructure with IP address.  I used port-forwarding on the router for the required ports.

Is there a SOP for such transitions?

PS  The server runs at 800Mbps up and down.....:)

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:41 PM

All replies

• It's possible that your new "modem" is also a router, creating what's referred to as "double NAT". If so, you can:

• Replace your current router with a switch, or
    • Set your router to act as a switch (turning off DHCP is often all that's required, but consult your router's documentation), or
    • Forward ports from your modem to your router, then from your router to your server.

You should also confirm with your new ISP that no ports are blocked on their network, and that running an externally accessible server is permitted under their TOS/AUP.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:12 PM
  • It's possible that your new "modem" is also a router, creating what's referred to as "double NAT". If so, you can:

• Replace your current router with a switch, or
    • Set your router to act as a switch (turning off DHCP is often all that's required, but consult your router's documentation), or
    • Forward ports from your modem to your router, then from your router to your server.

You should also confirm with your new ISP that no ports are blocked on their network, and that running an externally accessible server is permitted under their TOS/AUP.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

I was thinking it might also have been a router but Google provided us with another router (Cisco).  I do not seem to have any control over the modem.  It is a very small little (hot) box.  

I will check and see if the ports are not blocked.  I can run the grc.com utility "Sheilds Up".

Thanks for the response.  I'll check this out when I get home tomorrow.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:32 PM