New WHS User RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had an extra PC laying around, and MS just shipped me three copies of WHS. Very nice program might I add.

System:

Custom Built
    AMD Anthlon XP @ 1.2GHz
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    2 x 160GB IDE HDDs
    128MB GeForce 5200 AGP

It runs WHS smoothly. I would have preferred a nice looking GUI but that is not it's purpose. Also why did they not use Windows Server 2008?

Automatically backs up my PC between 12am-6am
    Works flawlessly on my home network
    Shares my data with my PCs, Xbox 360, and Playstation 3
    Runs on very little resources

Dislikes:

Backup takes forever
    Ugly GUI, but thats only a personal gripe, I am too much of a Vista and Seven fan
    Password requirements are stringent
    No way to tell if another PC is using the Windows Home Server Console
    No support for Windows Seven Beta

I highly suggest this program for people who have alot of media and want to be able to:

1.) Share it with all connected (up to 10) PCs.
    2.) Access this media from any machine capable of reading files over a network (Xbox, PS3, etc.)

I am moving next month. This will make my new home experience quite nice. I will have a PC in the basement office, an extender in the living room, and extender in the game room, a pc in the living room, 2 laptops, and maybe an extender in the kitchen. Thanks MS. Keep the quality software coming.

BTW: No problems to date. WHS updated to IE7 this morning and a few other things quite nicely.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:26 PM

All replies

• JerzeyLegend said:

It runs WHS smoothly. I would have preferred a nice looking GUI but that is not it's purpose. Also why did they not use Windows Server 2008?

Dislikes:

Backup takes forever
    Ugly GUI, but thats only a personal gripe, I am too much of a Vista and Seven fan
    Password requirements are stringent
    No support for Windows Seven Beta

They didn't use 2008 because it was still in beta when WHS was being worked on, they opted for a stable platform. WHS v2 might be based on 2008.

Only the first BU should be slow, check your drivers and network cables.
    I rarely use the console or the remote desktop, it's not a workstation.
    Tutorial: How to bypass the strong password requirements for WHS remote users.
    I've installed the connector on Windows 7, it's basically vista. Try again. ;)

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Hi,
    about your dislikes:
    Backup taking forever can be the case, since you use rather outdated hardware - so maybe the network is not Gigabit, but much slower. The initial backup of the first client basically has to transfer all content to the WHS, later only changed/different clusters are transfered. Sometimes also software may touch each file daily, so that each file is changed daily and therefore the changed data is verified and transfered again. This may be a malware, a bad programmed security suite or a performed disk defragmentation of your client causing a lot of changes, which may have to be validated cluster by cluster.
    In my experience Windows XP systems in normal business use are done with backup after about 5 minutes on a normal day.

Well you will see that another PC uses the console, if you loose the connection, since only one concurrent connection to the console is working. (But I understand what you mean, you do not wish to disturb other people using the console - although there should be only one Administrator!)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:36 AM